We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reaching Wadi Rum before 9:30 am from Aqaba border

Rehovot, Israel
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Reaching Wadi Rum before 9:30 am from Aqaba border

Hello everyone,

I am planning to reach Aqaba border on a Sunday morning in November at the earliest possible hour (I think that is 6:30am). My destination is Wadi Rum where I will have a pre-booked jeep tour starting from 9:30am. Assuming I finish all the paper work at border done by 7-7:15am and reach Aqaba bus station at 7:30, is there any chance that I can reach Wadi Rum using public transport before 9:30am? By public transport I mean a bus from Aqaba (any bus heading towards Northern Jordan except JETT) to Wadi Rum junction and another transport (may be hitchhiking or even the bus coming from Petra to Wadi Rum) from the junction to the village? How much should I expect to pay for this hitchhiking trip to Rum?

I am a student traveling alone on a tight budget and don't really want to hire a private transfer. I have read that hitchhiking to Rum is easy but don't really know if it will be feasible in the morning hours.

Please let me know what you experts think about it. May sound crazy but still wanted to share my plan.

Thanking you,

Indra

Mentioned in this post
Aqaba
Aqaba
Al Aqabah Governorate, Jordan
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
10 replies to this topic
amman
Level Contributor
221 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reaching Wadi Rum before 9:30 am from Aqaba border

Is illegal to hitchhike in Jordan unless you wanna be in trouble.

Ahmad Atwah

Licensed Tour Guide

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Petra
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reaching Wadi Rum before 9:30 am from Aqaba border

You'd probably be picked up in no time but if the car is stopped at one of the police checkpoints along the way you'll have to explain why you're in it and they may give the driver a ticket for having a tourist in a 'normal' car.

Patricia (Petra Bed & Breakfast - Horse Riding Jordan)

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,273 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reaching Wadi Rum before 9:30 am from Aqaba border

Strange, I have some friends here now and quite many times were going to Aqaba and never ever have we been stopped by police for to explaing what I do in the car.

And as I know so my friends often hitchhike up to Amman for example. Is it then illegal only for the tourists but not for locals?

Mentioned in this post
Aqaba
Aqaba
Amman
Amman
Amman Governorate, Jordan
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reaching Wadi Rum before 9:30 am from Aqaba border

Only tourists registered cars are allowed to transport tourists.It is so for their safety.

Tourists car has a green number plate

if anon registered car carry tourists stopped by police .passengers are told to get off the car and car driver fined

A non registered car can carry tourists(visitors to the country) provide they friends or members of the family

cheers

Raymond

Petra
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reaching Wadi Rum before 9:30 am from Aqaba border

Not sure if hitchhiking is illegal as many police officer do it as well but tourists can only be transported in "tourist" cars, so rental cars, taxis, cars with a 'green' licence plate. When my husband and I get stopped he has to explain what the "tourist" is doing in his car, obviously as I'm his wife it's no issue but they always ask.

Patricia (Petra Bed & Breakfast - Horse Riding Jordan)

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,273 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reaching Wadi Rum before 9:30 am from Aqaba border

Thanks for your reply, Patricia, hopefully it will not happen then to be stopped LOL

Rehovot, Israel
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Reaching Wadi Rum before 9:30 am from Aqaba border

Thanks all! I really appreciate your responses.

Will it be easy in the morning hours to stop and hire a taxi (with green number plate) from the desert highway junction to Wadi Rum? If yes, how much do I expect to pay? If not, I may ask my guide in Wadi Rum if they can send some transport to pick me up? The problem with the second option is that I will not have a SIM card to inform my Wadi Rum guide at what time I will be waiting at the Rum junction.

Thanks,

Indra

Mentioned in this post
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reaching Wadi Rum before 9:30 am from Aqaba border

Indra a sure hassle free way to take yellow taxi from borders to Wadi rum i think you pay jd 30 price negotiable .

green number plate cars can not be hired on the road at all.forget hitchhiking

cheers

Raymond

Mentioned in this post
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
Rehovot, Israel
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Reaching Wadi Rum before 9:30 am from Aqaba border

Thanks Raymond, you are right. don't want to try those adventures. Planning differently to come from Petra to Wadi Rum by the tourist bus.

Thanks,

Indra

Mentioned in this post
Wadi Rum
Wadi Rum
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reaching Wadi Rum before 9:30 am from Aqaba border

No chance with public transport, local bus goes around midday, you will need a taxi. Easy to get in Aqaba though you will need to hassle for a good price, probably around 20JD. Or if you have a contact in Rum threy may be able to arrange it.

Mentioned in this post
Aqaba
Aqaba
Reply to: Reaching Wadi Rum before 9:30 am from Aqaba border
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aqaba