We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New airbnb law

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
New airbnb law

Hi all I wonder if any of you is affected by the new rental law in japan? What happens if we have already booked the airbnb while it is still technically legal? Does the law applies retrospectively?

4 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,921 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New airbnb law

Please type Airbnb in the Japan forum search box. There are numerous current posts on the subject.

Mentioned in this post
Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New airbnb law

Hi

Basically - if you have a booking with Airbnb the hosts will be ok to honor that booking, even if they are still waiting for their licence.

But 80% of Japan listings have been taken down from the site.

One idea...look around the web for other options - there are many guest houses now - many with dormitory type rooms and these are often priced cheaply...and there IS a website called Couch Surfing...which is a person to person FREE stay system....

Amanda

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,482 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New airbnb law

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29423…

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: New airbnb law

My booking in Hakone and Kyoto from 16th and 19th arrival dates have been cancelled yesterday and my money has been refunded. It’s bad because we had booked a great place at the start of this year for peace of mind and now we have to stick with touristy hotspots for a worse deal. We are leaving in a few days and now making plans all anew,

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Reply to: New airbnb law
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;