We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11N10D Hokkaido from 5/8 -15/8 .Help !!!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
11N10D Hokkaido from 5/8 -15/8 .Help !!!

My family and I ( 4 of us ) will be spending 10 days in Hokkaido from 5/8 to 15/8

Plan to self drive .

I am not sure whether I made the right stop or not. Need advise urgently. Thanks

Day 1: 5/8

Arrive Chitose at 8.30am .

Sleep: Furano

Day 2 : 6/8

Furano/Biei

Sleep : Furano

Day 3: 7/8

Furano-Asashikawa

Sleep: Asashikawah

Day 4: 8/8

Asashikawa-Sounkyu Onsen Village – Kitami-Abashiri

Sleep : Abashiri

Day 5: 9/8

Abashiri-Utoro-Shiretoko

Sleep: Utoro

Day 6: 10/8

Shiretoko-Rausu - Yoroushi

Sleep:Yoroushi

Day 7:11/8

Yorushi - Akan

Sleep: Akan

Day 8:12/8

Akan

Sleep: Akan

Day 9: 13/8

Akan-Sapporo

Akan-Kushiro

Sleep: Sapporo? Kushiro?

Day 10: 14/8

Back to Sapporo

Sleep:Sapporo

Day 11: 15/8

Bye Bye Hokkaido

8 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,715 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11N10D Hokkaido from 5/8 -15/8 .Help !!!

Overall your itin looks fine.

D3 - if you've finished all the spots in Biei+Furano, consider also Asahidake as day trip or stay in Asahidake onsen, if you don't have plans in Asahikawa.

D6 - what are your plans in Yoroushi ?

don't miss the lakes in Teshikaga such as Kussharo-ko, Mashu-ko. We've stayed in onsen hotel in Kussharo-ko 3 times.

1 night in Akan-ko would suffice, unless you have hiking plans in that area. Don't miss Onneto.

Either from Akan-ko or Kushiro it's a long long way to Sapporo - guess over 300km. Better stay in Obihiro for a relaxed driving trip.

How many of you would be driving ?

our last visit to lakes in Teshikaga in May 2016.

japantravelinsights.com/2016-may-hokkaido-pa…

Edited: 11 June 2018, 20:55
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11N10D Hokkaido from 5/8 -15/8 .Help !!!

Good Day DLI_hk,

thank you very much for the advice.

I will definitely look into your suggestions. Thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11N10D Hokkaido from 5/8 -15/8 .Help !!!

Hi, i have made some amendments to my itinerary and I need advice for certain days. Thanks in advance for your help .

5/8 ; Chitose- Furano/Biei/Asahikawa

Sleep: Asahikawa ( Accomodation in Furano/Biei are too expensive and the good ones are fully booked in August )

6/8: Asahikawa

Sleep: Asahikawa

7/8: Asahikawa-Asahidake

Question: Should i do it as a day trip from Asahikawa ? or it is better to stay one night @ Asahidake? This is because I am heading to Abishiri on the next day. It seems that the driving time from Asahidake-Abishiri is longer than Asahikawa-Abishiri.

8/8: Asahidake-Abishiri ( 4h) or Asahikawa - Abishiri ( 3h18m) )

Question: May i know which one is the better option? Which route is more scenic? I need recommendations for a city/town to stop over for lunch .

Sleep: Abishiri

9/8: Abishiri-Utoro

Sleep: Utoro

10/8: Utoro-Rausu - Teshikaga

Sleep : Teshikaga

11/8: Teshikaga -Akan Or Teshikaga-Akan -Kushiro

Which one is the better option? I have No plans to do hiking in Akan and just would like to just visit Lake Akan, Ainu Village and the green moss balls.

Sleep : ???? Akan or Kushiro

12/8: Kushiro -Obihiro

sleep; Obihiro

13/8: Obihiro-Sapporo

Sleep: Sapporo

14/8: Sapporo-Sapporo

Sleep:Sapporo

15/8: Bye Bye Hokkaido

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,320 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 11N10D Hokkaido from 5/8 -15/8 .Help !!!

The latest plan is do-able but quite packed. There’s a lot of distance to cover as Hokkaido is BIG.

Not sure how you can squeeze it but early August is the right time for the spectacular sunflower fields in Himawari no Sato. It’s an easy side trip from Asahikawa and would be a great pity not to go since the time is right.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11N10D Hokkaido from 5/8 -15/8 .Help !!!

Thanks for the feedback.

Do u have any advice on how to modify the itinerary ? So that my family and I will have an enjoyable and more relaxing trip. Thanks

Leavenworth, Kansas
Level Contributor
566 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11N10D Hokkaido from 5/8 -15/8 .Help !!!

My advice is to sleep outside of Akan. Teshikaga or Kusharro is much cheaper. See the green moss balls and Ainu village during the daytime. No needs to stop in Obihiro to sleep. The expressway is great to Sapporo and not too long. Check out google maps for travel times. I drove Nemuro to Sapporo in 6 hours and it was hassle free. Kushiro to Sapporo is only 4 hours and 300 km.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,320 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 11N10D Hokkaido from 5/8 -15/8 .Help !!!

As I mentioned earlier the latest plan is do-able, just that it’s a bit rushed for an old man like me. Much as we like Shiretoko 1 day is not doing the peninsula full justice and I’m inclined to save it for a future trip for a more in-depth exploration. Skipping Shiretoko and Abashiri will hopefully give you more elbow room and let you have a more relaxed road trip.

If you really find yourself running out of places to go, besides going to Himawari no Sato while in Asahikawa not mentioned in your original plan are Otaru, Jozankei and the Shakotan Peninsula which are much closer to Sapporo requiring less driving time.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,715 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11N10D Hokkaido from 5/8 -15/8 .Help !!!

#3,

Asahikawa is fine as a base to visit nearby Biei+Furano, which are less than 60km apart.

Better allow 2 days to explore farms and spots in Biei+Furano.

To properly explore Hokkaido East w/o spending too much time driving each day, consider

Asahikawa (2n) > Abashiri (1n) drop by Sounkyo along R39 > visit Shiretoko 5-lake stay, overnight in Utoro onsen town (1n) or Rausu > visit lakes in Teshikaga, overnight in Kussharo-ko or Akan-ko (1n) > Kushiro, overnight in Obihiro or Tokachikawa onsen town (1n) > Sapporo - return car and use public transports to visit Otaru.

Edited: 15 June 2018, 16:15
Reply to: 11N10D Hokkaido from 5/8 -15/8 .Help !!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted