We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hokkaido Engagement Photoshoot 2nd week of October 2018

4 posts
Save Topic
Hokkaido Engagement Photoshoot 2nd week of October 2018

Hi everyone!

We are scheduled to do our Pre-wedding/Engagement Photoshoot on the 2nd week of October. We plan to do this in Hokkaido, Either Asahikawa-Biei-Furano or just within Sapporo.

As we can no longer change the date, my concern is if we will see the Autumn Colors around this time. Do you think we can see the autumn leaves around this week?

We only have 1 day to do the shoot so we plan to go to areas we can easily go to.

Transportation wise we plan to rent a car with an English speaking driver. If you can recommend one it would be very helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Asahikawa
Asahikawa
Hokkaido, Japan
Biei-cho
Biei-cho
Kamikawa-gun, Japan
Furano
Furano
Hokkaido, Japan
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
8 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,261 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hokkaido Engagement Photoshoot 2nd week of October 2018

In 2nd week of Oct, it'd be too early for koyo (fall foliage) in Sapporo city. However, it'd be peak in Hoheikyo near Jozankei onsen town, about 10km SW of Sapporo. However, it'd be very crowded - long lines for parking and visitors have to line up to take electric bus to get into the dam area. Thus, it does not sound like an ideal spot for your photo-shooting.

sapporo.travel/find/…

Consider Biei+Furano where there are plenty of spots with panoramic views.

btw, if you only allocate 1 day for it, what is your fallback plan if it rains ?

Search on this forum for English speaking driver, guess it might not be easy in Hokkaido.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 20:39
Mentioned in this post
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Jozankei Hotel
Jozankei Hotel
157 Reviews
Sapporo, Japan
Biei-cho
Biei-cho
Kamikawa-gun, Japan
Furano
Furano
Hokkaido, Japan
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hokkaido Engagement Photoshoot 2nd week of October 2018

Thanks for the advice. I'm considering Furano-Biei and Sounkyo since its still gonna be green in Sapporo.

My plan is to go to theses places:

Sounkyou Momijidani

Takushinkan Birch Tree Path

Shirogane Aoiike

Farm Tomita

Torinuma Park

Besides Sounkyou the rest are within the same area so its gonna be easy to get around with car. My issue is will I have enough time to go to Sounkyou as well. Im still looking for places where there's a lot of Red Maples but its hard to find a location.

Oct 10th is the only day we can shoot. Hoping to that it won't rain that day.

Mentioned in this post
Furano
Furano
Hokkaido, Japan
Biei-cho
Biei-cho
Kamikawa-gun, Japan
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Takushinkan
Takushinkan
112 Reviews
Biei-cho, Japan
Farm Tomita
Farm Tomita
1,168 Reviews
Nakafurano-cho, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,261 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hokkaido Engagement Photoshoot 2nd week of October 2018

It'd be too rush even if you stay in Biei/Furano to cover all the above in just 1 day. There is no expressway in that area so a return trip to Sounkyo from Biei might be 3 hours at least (let alone from Sapporo which is another 2 hours' drive).

Better stay in Biei/Furano or in Asahikawa.

Consider also Flowerland, Shikisai-no-oka which are on a small mount with panoramic views of distant Tokachi range on clear days.

Shirogane Aoiike - note that it's about 100m from the car park, walking path is filled with gravels and mud.

Sunset is around 5pm in Oct.

one of my visits to Biei in early Oct 2009.

japantravelinsights.com/2009-hokkaido-part-3/

Edited: 11 June 2018, 22:08
Mentioned in this post
Biei-cho
Biei-cho
Kamikawa-gun, Japan
Furano
Furano
Hokkaido, Japan
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Asahikawa
Asahikawa
Hokkaido, Japan
Shikisai no Oka
Shikisai no Oka
732 Reviews
Biei-cho, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hokkaido Engagement Photoshoot 2nd week of October 2018

By the second week of Oct autumn foliage would probably have passed its peak in Sounkyo. Although it is near impossible to foresee the unpredictable weather I think you stand a better chance of seeing more colour in Jozankei during your time of visit, and it is much closer to Sapporo. When we were there during foliage season there were indeed many visitors, but the park by the riverbank was not crowded.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 00:32
Mentioned in this post
Jozankei Hotel
Jozankei Hotel
157 Reviews
Sapporo, Japan
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hokkaido Engagement Photoshoot 2nd week of October 2018

Thank you for the recommendation. Thank you for sharing your blog. The view looks amazing! Will consider Flowerland and Shikisai no Oka. BTW do they allow you just go around and take pictures here? Are there any restrictions as well as in Farm Tomita?

Mentioned in this post
Shikisai no Oka
Shikisai no Oka
732 Reviews
Biei-cho, Japan
Farm Tomita
Farm Tomita
1,168 Reviews
Nakafurano-cho, Japan
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hokkaido Engagement Photoshoot 2nd week of October 2018

Thanks for your recommendation. I'll take a look at Jozankei as well.

Mentioned in this post
Jozankei Hotel
Jozankei Hotel
157 Reviews
Sapporo, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,261 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hokkaido Engagement Photoshoot 2nd week of October 2018

#5,

Have visited those 3 farms more than 4 times. No entrance fee and free to visit, take photos. They have shops and eateries.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hokkaido Engagement Photoshoot 2nd week of October 2018

You shoould check with the places you want to film first - just family and friends taking pix is different from a couple, a photographer, a stylist and makeup person...commercial shoots often need permission.

I second trying for Jozankei. And I feel you are REALLY giving yourself a narrow window of opportunity with this schedule.

October could easily be a grey, windy and raining time....you should have a photographer on standby and then choose a day with decent weather.

amanda

Mentioned in this post
Jozankei Hotel
Jozankei Hotel
157 Reviews
Sapporo, Japan
Reply to: Hokkaido Engagement Photoshoot 2nd week of October 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted