We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hadokate in Early May

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hadokate in Early May

Hi forum,

I'm coming to Hokodate with my 13 yo in May for 3 days prior to a conference in Chiba. He really wants to see great local markets and eat local foods and I found a blog on the Hakodate Market that sounded friendly and fun. We arrive on May 4 and I have a JR Railpass for the two of us to ride up. Might be a long day of travel. :) Any advice for getting the most of the market? When should we arrive and what other notables are there in Hakodate? Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Ken

Goryokaku Tower
Observation Decks & Towers, Lookouts
Goryokaku Park
Historic Sites, Architectural Buildings, Parks
3 replies to this topic
Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
153 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hadokate in Early May

If you like seafood, Hakodate Morning Market is the place. The shops generally open from 5:00am to 1:00pm, some remain open till 3pm but all close in late afternoon. Better arrive in the morning or before noon. The market is located right next to Hakodate station, NOT Shin-Hakodate station. When you arrive by Shinkansen at Shin-Hakodate station, transfer to local train bound for Hakodate.

In Hakodate there're so many to see. Goryokaku Fort, Bay of Hakodate, Motomachi area with many historical monuments, and Mt. Hakodate for cable car ride and night view.

Early May is the best season to enjoy flowers particularly cherry blossoms in Hakodate, Goryokaku is very popular but also Kosetsuen near Yunokawa Spa has very nice Japanese garden.

hakobura.jp/db/db-fun/2011/04/post-67.html

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,867 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hadokate in Early May

As mentioned there is the morning market. It's a market aimed at tourists. A real market for locals is very boring compared to these tourist markets. The place sells mainly seafood, live / fresh / dried. There are many restaurants as well. Again the theme is seafood. You won't find much (if any) housewife outfits or kitchen utensils here.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
768 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hadokate in Early May

Actually bibimbob I would disagree with your conclusion. Yesterday I was taken (by a Hakodate volunteer guide) at my request, to a local seafood market and I found it fascinating.

I am not of course against visiting the hot tourist spots. After all I am a tourist myself! (Today I will go to the morning market)

However to me - and I don't believe I am the only one - it is the back-streets, the everyday Japanese stuff, the life of the locals, that is what I am most interested in seeing.

Yesterday I bought three different kinds of sashimi in the local market at local market prices and they even gave me a discount. Together with tofu rice rolls and a nori rice ball plus a custard cream puff from the local "combini" store I had a wonderfully fresh meal back at my airbnb apartment! For I am quite sure a fraction of the price it would have been had I shopped at the tourist place. (It came to a little over 1000 yen!). In the market I also had a chance to buy the local nori sheets that are a famed delicacy of this area, again at local prices.

So I would say, it's not an either or ... if you have chance do both!

Edited: 01 May 2017, 08:27
Reply to: Hadokate in Early May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted