We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hakodate in March!

Singapore
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hakodate in March!

Hi,

My family of 6 (2 adults & 4 kids) will be traveling to Niseko in mid-March 2018. After 6 days in Niseko, we plan to take a train to Hakodate on Day 7. We have 2 full days in Hakodate before we depart for a 2120hrs flight from Chitose to Singapore.

Given the time we have, how feasible is it to squeeze in the following:

- Onuma Park: ice-fishing, sledding, snowmobile

- Mount Hakodate/Hakodate Ropeway (is it worth doing both day & night time visits?)

- Fort Goryokaku & Tower

- Red-brick Warehouse + Bay area

- Snow Monkey Onsen

- Morning Market

- Motomachi

If it's not possible to squeeze all in, what are the sights we can skip? I hope to keep the ice-fishing bit in though, coz it sounds like good fun for the kids!

Also, what is the latest time should we leave Hakodate by for our 2120hrs flight from Chitose?

Thank you!

Goryokaku Tower
Observation Decks & Towers, Lookouts
Goryokaku Park
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Parks
2 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,482 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hakodate in March!

All would be feasible though the ice-fishing in Onuma NP might take up half day at least including train rides to/from Hakodate.

Better visit Mt Hakodate for night view by ropeway to avoid potential traffic jam.

It'd take about 3 hours even for the fastest JR Hokuto express train to reach CTS via Minami-Chitose.

Look up hyperdia.com for train schedules.

You might send your ski gears and luggage straight to CTS before leaving Niseko using luggage delivery service and carry items for 2 nights in Hakodate.

Edited: 16 September 2017, 17:21
Singapore
Level Contributor
211 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hakodate in March!

Thanks for much for the advice :) Good to know I can squeeze most things into the short stay at Hakodate!

Reply to: Hakodate in March!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted