We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Hakodate?

Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Driving in Hakodate?

Hi, I'm planning a 4-day trip with my parents to Hokkaido in early November. We'll be renting a car from Sapporo and going to a few places. We will arrive at our last stop, which is Hakodate, on Nov 7 afternoon and fly out of Hakodate on Nov 8 afternoon. We plan to visit Motomachi, Kanemori warehouse, Mt Hakodate night view and Hakodate morning market. Our hotel is near Horaicho station (close to Motomachi) and the airport shuttle bus stops near our hotel.

Question: Since we're arriving in Hakodate by car, should we keep the car and get around Hakodate and to the Hakodate airport by car? Or should we return the rental car on the day we arrive in Hakodate and use public transport to get around Hakodate and to the Hakodate airport?

Thank you!

Goryokaku Tower
Observation Decks & Towers, Lookouts
Goryokaku Park
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Parks
3 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,767 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Hakodate?

A car is of little use in Hakodate as you have to deal with city traffic and parking issues. And during evenings you can’t drive directly up Hakodate-yama, you either take a bus or the ropeway.

BTW, I hope you are aware of the fact that by picking it up in Sapporo and returning in Hakodate there is an additional one-way drop off charge for the rental car.

Macau, China
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Hakodate?

Most of the attractions in Hakodate can be reached by tram. No reason to drive IMO.

Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Hakodate?

Thanks for your replies! Will take your advice and not drive in hakodate :)

Reply to: Driving in Hakodate?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted