We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hakodate to Lake Toya

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hakodate to Lake Toya

Hello, does anybody know if there is any bus running from Hakodate to Lake Toya. I have checked the Donan bus website but found that the pdf timetable under Hakodate - Lake Toya is related to another destination, not the timetable for Hakodate - Lake Toya. I opened all pdf files to see if it was misplaced but still couldn't find it. Grateful if someone can help. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
12 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,244 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hakodate to Lake Toya

Doesn't look like there is. bus to Sapporo only.

donanbus.co.jp/citybus/…9A.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hakodate to Lake Toya

Look at this, there seems to be no direct bus from Hakodate to Lake Toya, so use JR limited express train to Sapporo and get off at Toya station.

Change "To/From Tokyo" to "To/From Hakodate".

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6730.html

Mentioned in this post
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
Lake Toya
Lake Toya
444 Reviews
Hokkaido, Japan
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Macau, China
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hakodate to Lake Toya

Hi bigballon - did you make it from Hakodate to Lake Toya? Wonder if you can share some info as I am planning a trip in mid Feb. TIA

Mentioned in this post
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hakodate to Lake Toya

Yes, do share your experience. How did you get from Hakodate to Lake Toya.

Mentioned in this post
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
192 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hakodate to Lake Toya

As far as I know there's no direct bus service from Hakodate to Lake Toya. Better to take a train bound for Sapporo and get off at Toya-ko (Lake Toya) Station.

Mentioned in this post
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
Lake Toya
Lake Toya
444 Reviews
Hokkaido, Japan
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hakodate to Lake Toya

Thank you Misato. Is that a JR? Do I need to change trains or platforms? Pls tell how to find out its timetable and fare.

Edited: 19 April 2017, 07:56
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hakodate to Lake Toya

You can look up train schedule and fare using the hyperdia site below. For Toya-ko enter Toya(JR-Muroran). Rail journey from Hakodate to Toya-ko is direct and there is no need for any train transfer. But note that after arriving at the Toya-ko JR station you still have to take a connecting bus to the lake.

http://www.hyperdia.com/

Mentioned in this post
Muroran
Muroran
Hokkaido, Japan
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
Singapore
Level Contributor
292 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hakodate to Lake Toya

Hi Goldspark, just to share info as I just went Lake Toya from Hakodate on 27 Jun 2017.

Like the rest mentioned, take a train from Hakodate JR Station to Toya Station (about 2hrs each way). When you reach Toya Station, turn right after you exit the station and you'll find a bus stop. I'm sorry I did not take a photo of the bus schedule which on hindsight I should have, so I can share here. It's an hourly bus but not by the hour, if you know what I mean. Try googling for the bus schedule which a few bloggers have posted/ translated.

Note that the bus has limited capacity so if you do not want to miss boarding it, do queue. To be sure, just ask the driver if the bus goes to Toyako Onsen Bus Terminal (but this is not the final stop for the bus, in case you think everyone will alight). The bus fare costs JPY330/way for adult and JPY170/way for children. I paid for my 6yo but it's free for my 3yo. Bus ride is about 15min/way.

At the Toyako Onsen Bus Terminal, you may obtain the bus schedule or purchase your return bus ticket.

Alternatively, if you have time at the Toya JR Station while waiting for the bus, you may also purchase a round trip ticket at JPY600. I didn't as I was rushing for the bus right after I reached Toya JR station.

Regarding train ride, as it's a 2hr journey, either you pay for reserved seat (free reservation if you have JR rail pass) or be at the Hakodate JR station an hour early to board the free seating carriages. Typically, there are only 2 carriages with free seating so if it's crowded, there'll be people standing in the free seating carriages or in between the free seating carriages. Our evening return from Toya to Hakodate Station wasn't crowded, perhaps because most people will stay overnight at Lake Toya.

Mentioned in this post
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
Atlanta
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hakodate to Lake Toya

Thanks Tiramisho. Really helpful as we are making the Hakodate to Toya trip this week.

Mentioned in this post
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Hakodate to Lake Toya

Route3 Take time: 514 Minutes Transfer: 2 Times Distance: 589.5 km

Total:¥ 22,800(TicketFare:¥ 9,610 Seat Fee:¥ 13,190) Commuting ticket(1mon:¥ --- 3mon:¥ --- 6mon:¥ --- )

Commuting ticket

Time Route Fare Seat Fee UsefulLink

13:51

HAKODATE

Station timetable | Add to favorite

Map

Hotel

Rent-a-car

Restaurant

[196 Min]

LTD. EXP HOKUTO 13

Train timetable | Interval timetable