We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pyjama/kimono in hotels

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Pyjama/kimono in hotels

Hi.. I notice when we stay in a hotel in japan.. Normally thet provide pj in the room. Can we bring that home? Or gotta leave it back in the room? Just wondering

Best Seller
Mt. Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,314 Reviews
from US$140.70*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Cabaret Evening Show...
947 Reviews
from US$65.40*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
122 Reviews
from US$54.50*
9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pyjama/kimono in hotels

You can't bring those home.

Powell River, Canada
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pyjama/kimono in hotels

Well, I know in Mexico I cannot just take home the robes or towels in a hotel room for free.

Same in Japan for PJs.

California
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pyjama/kimono in hotels

Thank you for asking, but surely you could not have thought that you could just take them.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pyjama/kimono in hotels

In fairness to julindo, I give him/her credit for asking. A very large minority of hotel guests routinely take anything that isn't bolted to the floor or wall, towels, robes, clocks, coffee makers, etc.

You may be able to purchase in room clothing from some hotels. A lot of hotels have inexpensive slippers in plastic bags that you can take when you leave.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,058 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pyjama/kimono in hotels

>>A very large minority of hotel guests routinely take anything that isn't bolted to the floor or wall, towels, robes, clocks, coffee makers, etc.<<

So true. Hotels started to bolt everything when mobs of tourists started to visit Japan from a nearby country. I've heard that many hotels are now considering putting a tiny device that emits a buzzer if taken out of their premises into bath robes and towels. What a shame.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,910 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pyjama/kimono in hotels

If that continues more hotels will be asking for deposits or charging for the thefts on the purloiner's credit card after they leave.

I have seen price lists in other Asian countries with exorbitant charges for each item in the room with the clear understanding that if it goes missing , you get billed on your credit card. Some of the hotels even had amounts for lights .....

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pyjama/kimono in hotels

Wow... Thanks for the replies.....as a hotelier.... I dont like when ppl stay and stole stuff from the room too.... Thanks..

Level Contributor
3,689 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pyjama/kimono in hotels

At many countryside ryokans, yukata and jinbei robes are sold at their inhouse souvenir shops at normal non-elevated prices.

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
631 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pyjama/kimono in hotels

MapleG <<I have seen price lists in other Asian countries with exorbitant charges for each item in the room...>>

Sad to say, we have seen similar lists - though perhaps not with exorbitant charges for the items - in a few hotels in Japan.

Reply to: Pyjama/kimono in hotels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted