We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost for food per day.

bc
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cost for food per day.

Not looking at doing fast food stuff. There is myself, wife 1 small child and 1 baby. Will 20k yen be enough per day?

breakfast 1k

lunch 2k

supper 5k

=7k/person x 2.5 = 17500 yen.

Other than showing me a link for other websites, anyone come back and what did you spend?

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost for food per day.

Just depends on how you eat, where you eat and what you eat.

Not including the baby, breakfast divided by 3 would be about 333 yen per person. Maybe light pastries/coffee tea , unless two adults got 500yen worth then divided the food with the children.

Lunch I think is reasonable to keep to 2000yen for 2 adults, a kid and a baby, again though depends on what, where, you eat.

You can find reasonably good and affordable foods, from noodles to rice bowls easily.

Same for dinner.

Edited: 17 January 2011, 07:29
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,625 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost for food per day.

I would say 20,000 Yen should be more than enough for two people plus a child for a day. In fact, it should allow you to eat quite well. Obviously, the sky is the limit if you opt for fanciest places (which don't always equate to quality) at each meal.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost for food per day.

I agree, 20,000 yen a day can eat really well.

Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost for food per day.

I travelled in Japan last year and my average spend on food and drink was 5,000 yen per day over 24 days. I budgeted to spend a lot more and had wagyu a few times (~Y9,000 a go) and fugu twice (~Y6,500) but only spent half what I allowed because a lot of great Japanese food is incredibly cheap. The only things I thought expensive - relative to Australia - were beer and coffee.

hong kong
Level Contributor
265 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost for food per day.

went for 10days last month, spent about 10000yen/day/person and ate extremely well. most of the restaurant I went were well known restaurants inc. some michelin starred restaurants. ordering for 2 can easily cover your kid as well. so with 20000yen you can eat very well. i didn't have any breakfast though coz was always too full for breakfast. Japan has some really nice fruits. so you can think about buying fruit to eat for breakfast in hotel, or buying nigiri (rice balls) for breakfast is pretty good too.

here are pic of food with restaurant name and price if ur interested:

http://www.cig.usa.canon.com/p?p=FF8mdkewUAS

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost for food per day.

That is a large budget, we usually had a bowl of noodles for lunch and had a nice evening meal and didn't spend anywhere near that money. We always assumed that Japan was expensive as we kept hearing this but when we got there we were surprised to find it wasn't bad at all.

7. Re: Cost for food per day.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 23:18