We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should i stay in shibuya or shinjuku

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
should i stay in shibuya or shinjuku

I want to stay somewhere very lively walking distance to bars and clubs etc. I read to stay in Shibuya because I won't need to get a taxi after midnight like in Shinjuku. Can I walk everywhere from Shibuya at night? I want to shop and eat out also? Which is the best place? Also do bars and clubs open late and what is it like there on weeknights. I wouldn't go out every night but would like to walk around at night in the action!

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should i stay in shibuya or shinjuku

I think you are sort of splitting hairs for lively areas with lots of bars and nightlife at your doorstep. I stayed in Shinjuku for a few days last month and was surprised how it seemed like Saturday night every night. It was fun for sure.

But on other trips, (5 and 6 years ago) when I was a bit younger, my friends and I would party in Shibuya and ended up having to take taxis back to our hotels each night. We would just end up in Shibuya and had ... family friendly... thinking... a great time, leaving it at that.

But, that was mostly because I just didn't know Shinjuku on those previous trips so I have only just discovered how fun it is there as well.

Maybe 20-somethings would be better off in Shibuya? Both places are fun.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,257 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should i stay in shibuya or shinjuku

Shibuya trends a bit younger, but Shinjuku is equally happening at night.

Note that you have more hotel choices (including generally cheaper ones) at Shinjuku compared to Shibuya.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: should i stay in shibuya or shinjuku

Thankyou both for your responses! I don't know what to decide I guess anywhere and then I'll get a taxi if I have to. Taxis are expensive in australia anyway and I'm used to it. My friend who I don't have that much in common with but she's been to Japan zillions of times said to stay in Roppongi??? I'm not so sure about that I like the action but been to many cities and tourists "hot spots" and they are all the same and I feel I know what it will be like and don't like pop music! I think shinjuku for cheaper hotels then taxi if I need to coz they are nearby aren't they. :)

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: should i stay in shibuya or shinjuku

I would never stay in Roppongi even though I have partied until morning there. It's not a nice area and I don't find it to be as cool-looking as Shinjuku or Shibuya. The bar touts standing on the streets can get pushy as they try to get customers. They are sometimes annoying. Fun place to party but that is it for me.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: should i stay in shibuya or shinjuku

If you have the budget, two of the best hotels in Tokyo are located at Roppongi:

Grand Hyatt (Roppongi Hills)

Ritz Carlton (Tokyo Midtown)

Both of the above hotels would be a very safe and pleasant stay.

The ANA Hotel is not too far away, near Akasaka.

If you going to Roppongi at night, then the Shibuya vs Shinjuku debate tilts towards Shibuya. Its just very easy to taxi straight down Roppongi Dori to Shibuya. You could even walk it with a little energy - I have done so many times.

One thing to watch out for - some of the Shinjuku hotels have a Shibuya address - quirk of geography. Any hotel with a Sendagaya, Shibuya address will actually be in front of Shinjuku station.

Most places in Roppongi are open very late. Many in Shibuya too. Clubs like Womb are open all night. Roppongi is much more oriented towards international venues than Shibuya.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: should i stay in shibuya or shinjuku

I think both Shibuya and Shinjuku are great places to hang out in. Shibuya probably a bit more happening, but that's not to take away from Shinjuku. I'm often wandering around Shinjuku late at night, either having a drink or late night ramen, or shopping in the few spots that are open late at night.

Honestly? Roppongi wouldn't be my first pick to stay in.

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: should i stay in shibuya or shinjuku

Roppongi Hills vs. Roppongi are two different worlds. The OP said, "Roppongi." And if you are going to pay for the Grand Hyatt, you might as well stay at the Mandarin Oriental. A much better choice by far.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: should i stay in shibuya or shinjuku

In Roppongi I would recommend "Heartland" one of the more vibrant beer joints these days around Roppongi (at this time of year the crowd spills outside at Westwalk) and Rigoletto Bar and Grill, a bit more up market with a very hip crowd. Both located in Roppongi Hills. For pub scene, can't beat Hobgoblin on the Tokyo Tower side of Gaien Higashi Dori.

Lately some of the places around Roppongi have been taken over by generic US chains, which I do not find appealing. TGI Fridays near Roppongi Crossing being one example.

In Shibuya The Aldgate has been around forever, and I like Failte Irish pub near Mark City. And of course, Craftheads. Not much of a boy meet girl scene, if that is of interest.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: should i stay in shibuya or shinjuku

Thanks everyone I'm gonna look at shibuya and go out everywhere and if its not walking distance i'll just taxi. Gotta find cheap but good hotel in shibuya now. yay fun times a coming!!!

Perth
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: should i stay in shibuya or shinjuku

Hey Trina

I'm trying to make the same decision between Shibuya or Shinjuku. Where did you end up staying and did it work for you?

I like to stay somewhere I can wander late at night and there will be things going on.

Cheers