We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

I know there's an old thread on this but just thought I'd post for renewed information and to see if anyone has some good tips and can post their personal experiences.

So the last post mentioned JTB (URL: http://www.jtbtravel.com.au/jr-pass/japan-rail-pass) and Railplus (URL: http://www.railplus.com.au/japan-by-rial) as places to buy a Japan rail pass. What were they like? Also, does it make any difference where you buy it from? One last thing (I promise) it seems universal that people say to get the pass instead of individual tickets, just wondering if anyone has found individual tickets to be better).

Mentioned in this post
Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,287 Reviews
from US$143.50*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
119 Reviews
from US$55.50*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
936 Reviews
from US$66.60*
140 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55,328 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

The pass price is set it yen by JR. As long as you use an authorized agent from - http://japanrailpass.net/eng/en005.html you should be OK. You need to take into account the shipping charge.

Pass vs individual tickets - the better value depnds on your particular itinerary. Feel free to post your complete day by day itinerary and we'll be able to suggest which pass, if any is best for you.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
507 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

JTB is the biggest agent, you could buy there, trusted company.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,242 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

You buy from within you own country, you pay local currency. You buy from websites based overseas, you pay currency exchange.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

Besides shipping costs if you can't pick up in person, agents may set their yen exchange rates differently and adjust it on a regular basis (e.g. weekly or bi-weekly). I've seen a difference of 10pts in the past which can be meaningful esp when buying more than one pass.

Edited: 25 March 2013, 12:45
5. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 01:33
Edited: 27 March 2013, 01:33

Australia
Level Contributor
675 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

I bought mine from a travel agent in Bisbane(Flight Centre).I think I didn't have to pay for postage that way .

I also considered getting them through JTB. Since you are in Sydney JTB would be a good choice.You can personally collect them.

Have a great time in Japan.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

Sounds good, I don't have a firm itinerary yet but I know I want to see Kyoto, Tokyo and a few places off the beaten path. So I'm pretty sure I'll need a JR Pass. Cheers for the tips of delivery or exchange rates, I'll keep that in mind. I'll see about posting an itinerary once it's firmed up - thanks for the offer Dave148.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,922 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

Make sure you have Tokyo, Kyoto plus "off-the-beaten-path" destinations within 7 days or you won't make your money back with the Pass. Off-the-beaten-path should also be rides that are worth a few thousand Yen.

Otherwise, for just Tokyo to Kyoto roundtrip, the Japanican e-voucher is the most economical:

www.japanican.com/tours/tourdetail.aspx…

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

Thanks Sammyfloyd, I'll check it out. To be honest though, I'm partial to the JR Pass just because once I've got it I don't have to worry about buying individual tickets and trying to juggle train schedules, etc. But that's just me.

Auckland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

hiya, I'm travelling to japan and spending 2 nights in tokyo, 6 nights in hakuba, 2 nights in kyoto then 1 night tokyo. just wondering if the rail pass would be worth it or if it would be just better to buy them individually as we are spending awhile in hakuba... any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted