We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

I know there's an old thread on this but just thought I'd post for renewed information and to see if anyone has some good tips and can post their personal experiences.

So the last post mentioned JTB (URL: http://www.jtbtravel.com.au/jr-pass/japan-rail-pass) and Railplus (URL: http://www.railplus.com.au/japan-by-rial) as places to buy a Japan rail pass. What were they like? Also, does it make any difference where you buy it from? One last thing (I promise) it seems universal that people say to get the pass instead of individual tickets, just wondering if anyone has found individual tickets to be better).

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,332 Reviews
from US$141.00*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
953 Reviews
from US$65.50*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
125 Reviews
from US$54.60*
141 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
121. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

www.jrailpass.com

I highly recommend above website. I've ordered from this agent several times. They usually have lowest prices and ship your voucher by 24 and 48 hours FedEx. It offers free shipping if you spend more than 499€ as well.

No need to go to a travel agency really. Shop online!

Regards

Level Contributor
103 posts
117 reviews
122. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

Hi,

You can use this website and put in your travel plans and it calulates the individual fair compared to a JR pass https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/

Make sure you buy the pass before you go from an authorised retalier (check the JR website), but dont purchase it more than 3 months in advance, make sure the name on your purchase matches your passport 100% and dont forget your exchange voucher.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
1 review
123. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

Hi All,

Writing from Sydney, Australia and wanted to know if its worth me buy a rail pass and the best price place to buy one.

I'm traveling;

Narita to Shinjuku

Shinjuku to Hakuba

Hakuba to Narita

Thanks for your help!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,842 posts
67 reviews
124. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

You don’t need a JR pass for your proposed itinerary.

1 post
125. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

Would love some help!

*5 days exploring tokyo

*Tokyo - Hakone and exploring Mt Fuji and surroundings

*Hakone - Osaka.

Spending 8 days exploring Kyoto, Nara and surroundings.

*Osaka - Tokyo.

Edited: 06 February 2018, 11:44
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
126. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

Greetings! This is my first post on TA. My family and I (three of us) will be in Japan during June 2018. Here is our itinerary:

Jun 10-15 Tokyo

Jun 16-19 Kyoto

Jun 20-21 Hiroshima

Jun 22-23 Tokyo

Our travel dates while in Japan will be Jun 15, 19 and 21, so a 7-day JR Pass would cover the city-to-city travel. Is a JR Pass the best option? Thanks for the help!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,842 posts
67 reviews
127. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

Get a 7 day pass and activate it when you depart Tokyo for Kyoto.

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
665 reviews
128. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

As pepelostefan says in post 121, buy online.

But do shop around.

The site pepelostefan recommends is currently more expensive than other reputable and frequently used sites.

In part it depends on when the site revises their currency exchange figure - JTB for example changes the rates on Thursday.

Free shipping helps, but sometimes even those places where you have to pay for shipping are less expensive than the ones with free shipping.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
103 posts
9 reviews
129. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

I have brought my family passes 3 times from japan experience very goo service.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
103 posts
9 reviews
130. Re: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass

The pass very good for your itinerary you can get a bus outside Hiroshima station free with Japan train pass does loop round sites also .Some of the trains also can use pass in Kyoto there is a great tourist board in Kyoto station they will give good information on getting to tourist sites and other things i always visit there .

Reply to: Best Place to Buy a Japan Rail Pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted