We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sumida District

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Sumida District

Hi helpful people!

So right now I have currently found a good deal for a place to stay in the Sumida District and was wondering if anyone had any personal experience here that might be beneficial for a first timer to Japan, like myself. Currently I am a little lost when it comes to figuring out if this is too far from most of the areas my friend and I will want to see or even what trains to be using to get into the more touristy areas. Any assistance would be very much appreciated!

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sumida District

oh also, is it worth it to buy a Japan Rail Pass if we do not plan on leaving the tokyo area?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,150 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sumida District

Sumida ward covers a large area, so it'll be helpful if you can post the name of the place you found. But in general, Sumida ward is not so convenient for the rest of Tokyo.

Whether the JR Pass is not worth it or not cannot be determined unless we know your whole itinerary and duration.

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sumida District

We will be staying may 25-30th and the partial address is: Kyojima, Sumida, Tokyo. We only really plan on visiting areas like tsukiji/Ginza, shibuya, and touristy places like that.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,150 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sumida District

Kyojima area of Sumida ward is inconvenient for sightseeing in Tokyo. There is nothing interesting in the vicinity either. Think again. In general, staying in/near the Yamanote Loop is most convenient.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sumida District

Kyojima in Sumida Ward indeed is not a very convenient place unless you plan to live long in Tokyo. It's not bad for living, as there's a Ito Yokado mall not far away, and within 300m walk there are two Hikifune stations from where you can take the through train to central Tokyo (30-50 minutes for many places inside Tokyo). It won't make much sense if you can stay at hotels on the Yamanote loop as recommended by Shibuyakko-san.

6. Re: Sumida District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 13:18