We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip out of Osaka on a Sunday mid-Oct

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
425 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip out of Osaka on a Sunday mid-Oct

Need help/suggestions on where to go on a day trip on my last day of use for my JR-Pass. I don’t mind paying extra to get to final destination if there is no JR Line but just want the main/long destination train ride to be JR. That said, I don’t want to do too many transferring along the way. This will be a Sunday mid-October. I’ll be based near OCAT-Namba. Will be traveling solo on this day (family will be leaving Saturday night while I fly out Monday night).

This will be my 4th trip in 2 years to Japan. My first trip I was based by Kyoto Station and did day trips to Nara, USJ and Hiroshima/Miyajima. The second trip I was based near Osaka/Umeda Station and did day trips to Tottori, Kobe, and Kyoto and did a stopover at Okayama and Himeji on my way to Osaka from Hakata. My third trip I was based at the same hotel on the previous trip and did a stopover at Uji/Nara from Tokyo on my way to Osaka and day trips to Kyoto and to Hikone/Otsu. I also stayed 3 nights total in Takayama and Kanazawa on my first trip. For this 4th trip, we will stopover in Nara from Tokyo before ending in Osaka, a day at USJ and a day in Kyoto (Arashiyama & Higashiyama area).

I’m looking through japan guide and other people’s itineraries for ideas.

On previous trips I bypassed Koyasan because on one trip I didn’t have time and on the last trip, I didn’t feel well in the morning so I stayed put in Osaka and walked around later. But I can’t use my JR-Pass at all going to Koya so I’ll pass on going this time and consider it for a future trip(s).

I also considered Naoshima on the second trip but changed that to Tottori last minute because at that time I was in no mood for contemporary art. I really enjoyed Tottori Sand Dunes because it was totally different from other places.

Kurashiki looks interesting with the canals and stone bridges. But most likely this won’t take a day. Is there somewhere along the way here or back to Osaka I can stopover that I haven’t been to that is along JR Line and as quaint as Kurashiki.

Kinosaki also looks interesting. When is Kinosaki Autumn Danjiri Festival? According to FB, 2017 it was held on Oct 14/15. If it will be around the same time frame then it should be Oct 13/14. If so, will it be difficult to get there and are other places in the city open like the onsens? I read that there’s private family bath that can be rented but what about solo use or is it the same?

Wakayama City also looks interesting. I like the look of the Castle grounds, Marina City and Kishu Kuroshio Onsen. Any info in Taketoya. It looks like it's held in mid-October.

Nagoya is also a possibility. But this is at bottom of list.

Other possibilities would be repeat visits to places I’ve been to. There’s always somewhere in those cities/towns that I haven’t visited. And I don’t mind repeating. I don’t mind walking around town as long as most of the walking is horizontal/flat. I actually enjoy walking around a lot but will take bus/train if the distance is far.

Any other place I should consider and why?

Again, this is for a day trip. I need to return to Osaka in the evening since I'll be doing last minute shopping and packing the following day for my flight at night.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Nara
Nara
Nara Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,136 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Tottori
Tottori
Tottori Prefecture, Japan
Kobe
Kobe
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Okayama
Okayama
Okayama Prefecture, Japan
Himeji
Himeji
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Uji
Uji
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Hikone
Hikone
Shiga Prefecture, Japan
Otsu
Otsu
Shiga Prefecture, Japan
Takayama
Takayama
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Kanazawa
Kanazawa
Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan
Arashiyama
Arashiyama
5,709 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Koya-cho
Koya-cho
Ito-gun, Japan
Tottori Sand Dunes
Tottori Sand Dunes
1,167 Reviews
Tottori, Japan
Kurashiki
Kurashiki
Okayama Prefecture, Japan
Wakayama
Wakayama
Wakayama Prefecture, Japan
Kishu Kuroshio Onsen
Kishu Kuroshio Onsen
32 Reviews
Wakayama, Japan
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
2 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip out of Osaka on a Sunday mid-Oct

Wakayama City is not bad. You might also consider the towns around Lake Biwa and Otsu, from whence you can cruise the lake.

Mentioned in this post
Wakayama
Wakayama
Wakayama Prefecture, Japan
Lake Biwa
Lake Biwa
231 Reviews
Shiga Prefecture, Japan
Otsu
Otsu
Shiga Prefecture, Japan
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
425 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip out of Osaka on a Sunday mid-Oct

Thanks.

Any suggestion on which towns around Otsu and Lake Biwa. I already went to Hikone and Otsu and did the Michigan Cruise out of Otsu.

Mentioned in this post
Otsu
Otsu
Shiga Prefecture, Japan
Lake Biwa
Lake Biwa
231 Reviews
Shiga Prefecture, Japan
Hikone
Hikone
Shiga Prefecture, Japan
Reply to: Day trip out of Osaka on a Sunday mid-Oct