We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Kyushu Self Drive December 2017

singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Kyushu Self Drive December 2017

HI everyone!

My family of 5 just had a great 10 day self-drive holiday in Kyushu and I wanted to share our experience with others who are planning similar vacations. My family was very happy with the itinerary, good mix of views, temples, natural wonders, history, activities, food and shopping.

Our itinerary

Day 1 – arrive Fukuoka Airport, Drive to Yufuin, Visited Lake Kinrin, Yunotsubo Kaido (accommodation Yamashiroya Ryokan)

Day 2 – Travel to Beppu, Visited Umijigoku, Sand Bath at Takegawara Spa, Beppu Ropeway/Mt Tsurumi (accommodation Yamashiroya Ryokan)

Day 3 – Kokonoe Suspension Bridge, Skiing at Kuju Forest Ski Park (accommodation at Ryokan Sanga)

Day 4 – Explore Kurokawa town, Drive to Daikanbo, Kusasenri (Mt Aso Ropeway still not operating), Shirakawa Suigen (accommodation Imakuni Hotel)

Day 5 – Takachiho Gorge in morning, Tsujun Bridge (but no water discharge while we were there), Kumamoto Suizenji Garden (accommodation Airbnb)

Day 6 – Kumamoto explore (kumamoto castle, Sakura no Baba Jousaien, Shimotori Malls, Museum)

Day 7 – Ferry to Shimabara, Nita Pass, Unzen Ropeway, Unzen Jikogu, Oura Church, Glover Garden Dejima, Mt Inasa Nagasaki (accommodation Airbnb) – (we squeezed quite a bit this day because weather forecasted rain the next day)

Day 8 – Nagasaki Peace Park, Atomic bomb museum, Urakami Church, Amu Plaza Mall and Hamanmachi Mall (took shelter in Mall because of rain)

Day 9 – Yutoku Inari Shrine, Tosu Premium outlet, Fukuoka Tenjin Shopping (accommodation Nishitetsu Grand in Tenjin)

Day 10 – Nagahama Fish Market, Tochoji Temple, Hakata Station, Canal City shopping (accommodation Nishitetsu Grand)

Day 11 – Fly home

Because it was winter, we planned on average 3-4 attractions in a day. Kyushu is beautiful and we spent slightly longer time in each location just soaking in the beauty and also taking lots of photos. Also, most of the driving was not on expressways so it did take time traveling from one location to the other. (also we didn’t want to rush so we decided to cover only northern Kyushu)

Favorite attractions (too many to choose from)

Daikanbo – the view is just magnificent. It’s impossible to capture it on photo. Getting there was a little bit of a challenge. The telephone number on the web led us somewhere different but it was a good thing we spotted road signs pointing us to the right direction. (While I was there a google-map the souvenir shop –0967-32-3856 – hope it works)

Yunotsubo Kaido – such a quaint street filled with Japanese food and souvenirs. Yes it is touristy but nevertheless it was fun walking down the street window shopping and snacking on Japanese food. While you are there please do look out for MILCH which sells oozy cheesecake in a cup. They won awards for this dessert. Luckily the queue was short when we were there. Super yums

Yutoku Inazi Shrine – beautiful temple and also they have a small stretch of tori gates (like those found in Kyoto Fushimi Inari Shrine). It was early when we arrived and got the temple all to ourselves. the view when you get to the top is also very pretty. Surprisingly, this attraction is not really featured much when I was doing my research but I stumbled on it on tripadvisor forum and very happy for it

All the ropeways and views at top (esp Mt Tsurumi and Unzen)

Favorite Accommodation

Yamashiroya Ryokan – very warm friendly owners of this small ryokan, about 20 mins away from yufuin. The rooms were very comfortable; the onsens was very nice and had good view and the food… the food was sooooo good.

Favorite Experience

Sand Bath in Beppu – This was sooo relaxing – nearly fell asleep – we went to the one in Takegawara spa which is I believe the oldest in Beppu… so the facility was old… maybe we should have tried the one by the beach (with a view of the water)

Rowing the boat in Takachiho Gorge – A must-do. The boat is not easy to row. We look back now with laughter on how we bad we were. The view of the gorge from the boat is very different

“Regrets”

Mt Aso Ropeway - Unfortunately we could not take the ropeway to the Nakadate crater at Mt Aso as it was still not in operation while we were there (hopefully you will hae beter luck

Nagahama Fish Market – we went too late. By the time we were there all the action was over. we were there about 9am... I think we should have gone much earlier like 6am. However we did have a very good sushi breakfast… one of the best I had.

I like to thank “jp-local-life.com” the post was so detailed with photos .. We just followed step by step…. jp-local-life.com/nagahama-fish-market-fresh…

Car Rental

GPS is so easy to use. Just key in the telephone number of the place you want to go – no need to key in address – and you are on your way. We had a list of all the attractions and telephone numbers printed in advance so it was super easy to get from one place to another

We rented an SUV with snow tires (it was snowing a few days while we were there).

We also got the ETC card which made traveling on the expressways a breeze.

Lastly, there is the matter of KEP (Kyushu expressway pass) – there is toll if you travel on the expressways. Depending on your route, you may not need to have the KEP for the full length of your holiday. I shared my itinerary with the rental car company and they helped me figure out how many days and when to get pass vs just paying the toll. (so have your itinerary handy so that they can help you too… put the days and date…because there is a 30% discount on toll fees during the weekend so depending on route, you may not even need to get the pass)

I would like to thank all the contributors on Forum who helped me put this together esp ETFlyer who provided very good advise on attractions, itinerary etc. Definitely hope we get the opportunity to come back again to visit the rest of Kyushu…

Mentioned in this post
Fukuoka Airport
Fukuoka Airport
Fukuoka, Japan
Lake Kinrin
Lake Kinrin
1,142 Reviews
Yufu, Japan
Yunotsubo Kaido
Yunotsubo Kaido
189 Reviews
Yufu, Japan
Beppu
Beppu
Oita Prefecture, Japan
Umijigoku
Umijigoku
542 Reviews
Beppu, Japan
Takegawara Spa
Takegawara Spa
382 Reviews
Beppu, Japan
Ryokan Sanga
Ryokan Sanga
313 Reviews
Minamioguni-machi, Japan
Daikanbo
Daikanbo
524 Reviews
Aso, Japan
Kusasenri
Kusasenri
343 Reviews
Aso, Japan
Mt. Aso
Mt. Aso
392 Reviews
Kumamoto Prefecture, Japan
Takachiho Gorge
Takachiho Gorge
960 Reviews
Takachiho-cho, Japan
Kumamoto
Kumamoto
Kumamoto Prefecture, Japan
Shimabara
Shimabara
Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan
Unzen Ropeway
Unzen Ropeway
79 Reviews
Unzen, Japan
Unzen
Unzen
Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan
Glover Garden
Glover Garden
1,757 Reviews
Nagasaki, Japan
Dejima
Dejima
920 Reviews
Nagasaki, Japan
Mt. Inasa
Mt. Inasa
1,233 Reviews
Nagasaki, Japan
Nagasaki Peace Park
Nagasaki Peace Park
1,187 Reviews
Nagasaki, Japan
Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum
Nagasaki Atomic Bomb...
1,646 Reviews
Nagasaki, Japan
AMU PLAZA KAGOSHIMA
AMU PLAZA KAGOSHIMA
334 Reviews
Kagoshima, Japan
Yutoku Inari Shrine
Yutoku Inari Shrine
200 Reviews
Kashima, Japan
Tosu
Tosu
Saga Prefecture, Japan
Sano Premium Outlet
Sano Premium Outlet
340 Reviews
Sano, Japan
Fukuoka
Fukuoka
Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan
Nishitetsu Grand Hotel
Nishitetsu Grand Hotel
431 Reviews
Chuo, Japan
Nagahama Fish Market
Nagahama Fish Market
28 Reviews
Fukuoka, Japan
Tochoji Temple
Tochoji Temple
433 Reviews
Fukuoka, Japan
Hakata Station
Hakata Station
855 Reviews
Hakata, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
26 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Trip Report - Kyushu Self Drive December 2017

Thanks very much for your post, SingaporeMummy!

I am planning to visit to Kyushu by car next year in April, but on a shorter period (6 to 8 days) and I am gathering any sort of related information . I may have more questions in the following days!

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Trip Report - Kyushu Self Drive December 2017

Thanks! Do you happen to know the email to write it to? Many thanks!

singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Trip Report - Kyushu Self Drive December 2017

I actually wrote in using the form on their web page (www.kujyuski.co.jp) but closer to ski season ... I think I contacted them in late November and I got a response. Hope this helps

singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Trip Report - Kyushu Self Drive December 2017

Sure... I will be glad to help where I can..... actually Kyushu forum is very good.... (many response and helpful feedbacks so u shud be fine...)

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Trip Report - Kyushu Self Drive December 2017

Many thanks really appreciate your help thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Trip Report - Kyushu Self Drive December 2017

Hi ! Thanks for sharing your itinerary! You mentioned you had prepared a list of attractions and telephone numbers. Possible to share that list? :p

Reply to: Trip Report - Kyushu Self Drive December 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted