We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim card ate Naha Airport?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Sim card ate Naha Airport?

My parents are travelling to Naha for one week, and would like to get a sim card at the airport upon arrival. They would prefer a counter/shop to help them, as they are retirees, and need help with setting up the phone. A self-service kiosk will not be using for them, as they do not know which one to buy and how to setup.

1.) Please tell us which shop to go to in the arrival lobby of Naha Airport for data sim card.

2.) Any recommendations of type of card to purchase?

Thanks!

Okinawa, Japan
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim card ate Naha Airport?

In Okinawa international airport's arrival lobby, Money exchange booth(TISCO Japan) offers SIM.

But the SIM offers only Internet(can't use phone servise) and sometime it doesn't work properly...unfortunately you couldn't cancel after you contract.So It might be good to get SIM in advance of your trip.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,552 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim card ate Naha Airport?

Getting SIM card in advance doesn't guarantee that it works on arrival. My friend bought one in Hong Kong but couldn't get it to work.

Some people just couldnt get it to work. I never had problem using various cards purchased in Japan, over a dozen times.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,891 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim card ate Naha Airport?

For my last trip, I bought an Iljimo Docomo card from Sham Shui Po. The cost was HK$80 for 2G of 4G LTE data over 8 days. It requires setting up the APN upon arrival. If your parents can't change phone settings, it's not an option for them.

I highly recommend you rent a pocket WiFi from Hong Kong before their trip. I used those a few times on shorter trips. They are reliable and generally don't cost any more than prepaid SIM purchased upon arrival. The cost I paid was roughly HK$35 daily with unlimited data.

4. Re: Sim card ate Naha Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2017, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Naha