We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karatsu Kunchi Transportation help pls!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Karatsu Kunchi Transportation help pls!

Hi! I’m heading to Kyushu area in Oct/Nov and really excited to check out the Karatsu Kunchi event on Fri Nov 2. Does anyone know if trains will run later during this festival? I guess I’ve left it a little late because I can’t seem to find any hotels in Karatsu. The closest hotels are around an hour away by train so now I’m thinking that I might stay in Hakata or Saga area where there are more hotel options.

From the information I found online, it looks like the parade runs from 7:30-10pm but the last train from Karatsu station is 10pm. I’m hoping that this might be extended for the duration of the festival…?

Any information you could provide is greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Karatsu Kunchi
Karatsu Kunchi
15 Reviews
Karatsu, Japan
Karatsu
Karatsu
Saga Prefecture, Japan
Saga
Saga
Saga Prefecture, Japan
3 replies to this topic
Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
4,352 posts
3,143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Karatsu Kunchi Transportation help pls!

Karatsu Kunchi's evening performance is held on the first day. JR Kyushu has had an extended run after 10 PM to Saga and Chikuzen Maebaru on the day. Transfer to the train bound for Fukuoka Airport is possible at Chikuzen Maebaru station.

Mentioned in this post
Karatsu
Karatsu
Saga Prefecture, Japan
Saga
Saga
Saga Prefecture, Japan
Fukuoka Airport
Fukuoka Airport
Fukuoka, Japan
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Karatsu Kunchi Transportation help pls!

Thanks so much ETflyer, that's great to hear! I will try to find a hotel in Saga so I can head to the Balloon Fiesta the next day :)

Do you know what time the latest train leaving Karatsu would leave to Saga station on November 2? I believe this is the first day of the festival with the evening performance.

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Karatsu
Karatsu
Saga Prefecture, Japan
Saga
Saga
Saga Prefecture, Japan
Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
4,352 posts
3,143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Karatsu Kunchi Transportation help pls!

It is a one day only temporary train. You may check the timetable later this year. As in the case for 2017, the extended run departs at 22:23 for Chikuzen Maebaru and 20:24 for Saga.

There're not many hotels (4 or 5) near JR Saga station. JR Kyushu opens Balloon Saga station, which is 2 stops from Saga station, temporarily during Balloon Festa.

Mentioned in this post
Saga
Saga
Saga Prefecture, Japan
Reply to: Karatsu Kunchi Transportation help pls!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saga Prefecture