We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takamatsu in February?

Shanghai, China
3 posts
Save Topic
Takamatsu in February?

Hello,

I would like to visit Shikoku/Takamatsu in February, but I would like to know if this is worth it at that season?

From what I read, February seems very cold (even freezing) -- which can appear problematic if I would like to visit the city and nearby through bicyle & with bus/train.

Many thanks for your advice.

Best regards,

Melina

Mentioned in this post
Takamatsu
Takamatsu
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan
7 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,812 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Takamatsu in February?

Do you plan to fly with Spring Airlines?

The Island of Shikoku is usually not the top tourist destination in Japan. And most of regions in Japan are colder than in Shanghai but warmer than in Beijing.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Shanghai, China
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Takamatsu in February?

Hello Nao,

Yes I plan to travel to fly with Spring Airlines.

I would like to go there for a 3-to-4 day weekend, either 1 or 2 weeks after Chinese New Year.

I read many articles on Takamatsu and this seems to be a nice place to visit (I visited several times Tokyo and would like to discover "natural" landscapes).

But regarding your comment, it appears that it is better to wait a little bit for the weather to get warmer. Do you happen to know when? April?

Many thanks again Nao.

Cheers,

Melina

Mentioned in this post
Takamatsu
Takamatsu
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Takamatsu in February?

Weather this Feb in Takamatsu was cold but no snow was recorded, so it may not necessarily be a bad time of the year especially towards the end of the month.

…jma.go.jp/obd/stats/etrn/view/daily_s1.php…

But if you can go a bit later it would be even better. Besides warmer weather starting late March is the highly worthwhile art festival held once every 3 years – Setouchi Triennale 2013. We went for it in 2010 and had a memorable trip seeing a lot of impressive outdoor exhibits and wish we could stay longer.

http://setouchi-artfest.jp/en/

Although it is not top of the list for most foreign visitors, Takamatsu does have a lot to offer. It serves as a gateway for the lovely island of Shikoku if you are into nature and rural Japanese countryside scenery. From Takamatsu there are interesting side trips to places like Kotohira/Kompirasan, Zentsu-ji, Marugame and the outer islands of Naoshima and Shodoshima. Longer outings (ideally staying overnight nearby) include the Naruto Whirlpools, Oboke Gorge and Iya Valley.

Within Takamatsu, the famous Ritsurin Koen is not to be missed while the suburban area of Yashima is also worth a visit. Shikokumura is nice if you can’t afford time for a thorough tour into inland Shikoku.

Mentioned in this post
Takamatsu
Takamatsu
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan
Kotohira-cho
Kotohira-cho
Nakatado-gun, Japan
Marugame
Marugame
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan
Naoshima
Naoshima
478 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Shodoshima-cho
Shodoshima-cho
Shodo-shima, Japan
Naruto
Naruto
Tokushima Prefecture, Japan
Takamatsu, Japan
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Takamatsu in February?

I live in Takamatsu and it can indeed be a bit cold in February (almost never below 0°C though). If you can go later you may have a much better experience.

Like William512 said, if you can go during the first two weeks of April, it's probably the best time to go. Not only it's cherry blossoms season, but also the Setouchi Triennale will be on which is the event not to be missed in the area this year.

If I may, I suggest you to check out my blog (http://ogijima.com) almost entirely devoted to the area.

I hope you get to visit and enjoy Takamatsu soon.

Mentioned in this post
Takamatsu
Takamatsu
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan
Shanghai, China
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Takamatsu in February?

Dear David & William,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I will follow your precious advice, and I think I will postpone my trip to April.

Do you think 3-4 days is enough to visit the close region by bike? The Setouchi Triennale seems interesting.

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Melina

Takamatsu, Japan
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Takamatsu in February?

Bikes can be an option, although, while most of the area is flat, some very interesting temples are on top of steep hills.

Also, the Triennale takes place on the islands of the area, and bikes are a great way to visit most of those islands (once again a few are not very flat though)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Takamatsu in February?

With just 3-4 days you may not be able to cover all the places mentioned in my previous post, especially if you intend to do it solely on bike.

The sites of Setouchi Triennale 2013 are mainly located on various outer islands of the Inland Sea + the port area of Takamatsu. Even if you devote all your 3-4 days for the festival you may not have enough time to travel to all the islands. We had a day each for Naoshima and Shodoshima and found that 1 day for Shodoshima is not enough if relying on public transport.

To give you some idea of time needed for other places the following are some rough estimates based on a tight schedule and using Takamatsu as a base – half a day for Yashima and Shikokumura; half a day for Kotohira/Kompirasan; the better part of a whole day for Naruto Whirlpools; a full long day for Oboke Gorge and Iya Valley. And of course not forgetting to set aside half a day for Ritsurin Koen and Takamatsu port area.

Mentioned in this post
Takamatsu
Takamatsu
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan
Naoshima
Naoshima
478 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Shodoshima-cho
Shodoshima-cho
Shodo-shima, Japan
Kotohira-cho