We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tour to Naoshima

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
429 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Day tour to Naoshima

We are beginning to plan tours for our cruise that stops in Takamatsu next March. We would very much like to take the ferry to Naoshima Island to see the Art Museums there. Our ship offers shore excursions there for almost $300 US per person, which seems overly expensive. We would like to go there on our own, if at all possible. Since we will be docked at the port, it should be easy to walk to the Ferry terminal for the ferry to Miyanoura Port on Naoshima. (I already have printed out the ferry schedule.) I read that there is a bus on Naoshima that would take us to the museums - but that the driver doesn't speak English - and we don't speak Japanese - which could be a problem. Is there any other way to get to the museums from Miyanoura Port - taxis or tours? Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Mentioned in this post
Takamatsu
Takamatsu
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan
Naoshima
Naoshima
490 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
12 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day tour to Naoshima

>>I read that there is a bus on Naoshima that would take us to the museums - but that the driver doesn't speak English - and we don't speak Japanese - which could be a problem.<<

Hundreds of foreigners like you visit Naoshima without Japanese and they haven't found it a big problem.

Bus schedule: naoshima.net/guide_map/naoshima_timetable_of…

Details (read, print out, and bring): benesse-artsite.jp/en/…map_naoshima.html

Ferry details (Google translated): translate.google.com/translate…

The best art museum in the region, is Kurashiki old canal town's Ohara Museum of Art. I am more of a fan of late 19th-early 20th century art rather than contemporary art (although I like both), but perhaps there is too much focus is on Naoshima.

http://www.ohara.or.jp/200707/eng/menu.html

google.com/culturalinstitute/…

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5754.html

You should be able to do both Naoshima and Kurashiki in you schedule things ahead.

300USD is a interesting figure, indeed. Perhaps the organizer enjoy Kobe Beef dinner upon each order through him.

Edited: 12 August 2013, 02:29
Mentioned in this post
Naoshima
Naoshima
490 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Kurashiki
Kurashiki
Okayama Prefecture, Japan
Ohara Museum of Art
Ohara Museum of Art
577 Reviews
Kurashiki, Japan
Kobe
Kobe
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day tour to Naoshima

Sorry, as a day tour doing both Kurashiki and Naoshima should be difficult. Stay in Kurashiki if you can.

http://www.kurashiki-tabi.jp/for/en/

Mentioned in this post
Kurashiki
Kurashiki
Naoshima
Naoshima
490 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day tour to Naoshima

In a day we too went to the various art sites in Naoshima using just its shuttle bus service. What we did was to take the immediate available bus upon arrival at the pier to Art House Project and at the bus stop there we took a note of the departing time for Benesse House and then decided how long we wish to stay around Art House Project. We worked our way through Benesse House, Chichu Art Museum and back to Miyanoura in the same manner. The thing is that we went during the 2010 Setouchi International Art Festival and suspected there were more frequent bus services because of the event. For reference there are a couple more webpages on the island's bus schedules – too lazy to check whether it is the same as the one kindly posted by Yobeekool above.

…naoshima.lg.jp/pdf/bus_jikokuhyo_130120kait…

naoshima.net/guide_map/naoshima_timetable_of…

Mentioned in this post
Naoshima
Naoshima
490 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Art House Project
Art House Project
316 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Benesse House
Benesse House
694 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Chichu Art Museum
Chichu Art Museum
693 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
429 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day tour to Naoshima

Thank you so very much for the detailed information. It is so very helpful. We will plan on taking the town bus. I've printed out the names of the stops in Japanese, so that we can show the bus driver the name in Japanese. Since our daughter is an artist, we should enjoy the exhibits at Naoshima, and visiting a small island appeals to us. (I wish we could be in Takamatsu longer so that we could go to Kurashiki also, but I doubt that would work in the one day that we have.)

Mentioned in this post
Naoshima
Naoshima
490 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Takamatsu
Takamatsu
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan
Kurashiki
Kurashiki
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
429 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day tour to Naoshima

Thanks for the additional information William. Your bus schedule was a little easier to read after I printed it out.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day tour to Naoshima

I would give priority to the Art House Projects; they're really interesting. The museums on Naoshima are all small and expensive, but still a much better deal than your cruise's $300 excursion!

Mentioned in this post
Naoshima
Naoshima
490 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
429 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day tour to Naoshima

We were already tentatively planning to visit Naoshima on our own. The tours for Takamatsu were just posted by Azamara in the last few days. Their price convinced us to plan our own visit. It looks like the logistics should be pretty easy to handle on our own - at a significant savings to the shore excursion price. Even with the fast ferry, our cost, including lunch should be somewhere around $100 US per person.

We should have time to visit the Art House Projects, along with the Chichu Art Museum and the Benesse House. Our ship is scheduled to dock at 10:00am.

Yobeekool's links allowed me to copy the Japanese names for the bus stops and the places that we want to visit.

Naoshima is very different from the other more intense sightseeing that we plan to do at the other ports. It should be an interesting and relaxing day.

Mentioned in this post
Naoshima
Naoshima
490 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Takamatsu
Takamatsu
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan
Chichu Art Museum
Chichu Art Museum
693 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Benesse House
Benesse House
694 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
429 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day tour to Naoshima

How far from the Cruise Ship Terminal is the ferry to Naoshima? Can we just walk to the ferry from our ship?

Thanks again for all your help.

Mentioned in this post
Naoshima
Naoshima
490 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day tour to Naoshima

http://www.sunport.or.jp/guidance/sun_11.htm (docking pier for cruise ship in Takamatsu)

http://www.sunport.or.jp/guidance/sun_16.htm (ticket office and pier for Naoshima ferry)

http://goo.gl/maps/I4Ip5 (less than 5 min walk between the 2 piers)

Mentioned in this post
Takamatsu
Takamatsu
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan
Naoshima
Naoshima
490 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
429 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day tour to Naoshima

Thanks so much William. I thought that the two piers were close, but wanted to make sure.

Reply to: Day tour to Naoshima
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Takamatsu