We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Setouchi Festival advice

sydney
Level Contributor
153 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Setouchi Festival advice

We are spending 4 days in Takematsu in July for the Trienalle. I have been using the Facebook page and the official site but still have some questions. Is a pass required or worthwhile for 3 days. We spent 3 days on Naoshima last year so I know how much time is required to appreciate the art and I am not fast. Is a ferry pass worthwhile . What islands or events are not to be missed. Where would one go to enjoy the island food? Any personal views or comments would be much appreciated . We will also be using Osaka as a base for 4 days prior to going to Takematsu . What is the best way to get there from Osaka. Is it time consuming to visit Kanazawa from Osaka rather than Kyoto which we have stayed in on other visits.

Thank you for reading this.

Mentioned in this post
Naoshima
Naoshima
487 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Kanazawa
Kanazawa
Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
6 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,054 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Setouchi Festival advice

>> Is it time consuming to visit Kanazawa from Osaka rather than Kyoto

Please refer to www.hyperdia.com for train schedule.

Edited: 13 May 2016, 13:11
Mentioned in this post
Kanazawa
Kanazawa
Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Setouchi Festival advice

Now, when I was searching the Internet, the satisfaction of Japan guide of the questionnaire had entered the Ogijima island at the No.2 of the high tourist spot.

In particular, it seems to be popular with men.

White miso bean paste rice cake zouni(Shiromiso an mochi zouni) of cafeTACHI is also looks delicious.

O-zouni is a traditional food to eat in Japan of the New Year, eat a very unusual o-zouni that Anko(bean paste) enters into the rice cake in Kagawa Prefecture.

I want to try the sweet salty taste once.

http://setouchikurashi.jp/island/info/ogi/

Cats also seem a lot.

Because the cat lover, I want to go.

guesthouse-hostel.com/ogijima-sightseeing/

And are Ogijima ferries that leave from Takamatsu, I hear that one to two hours.

http://ogijima.info/access/

The degree of satisfaction is high tourist destination Ranked No.15, contains the Inujima of Okayama Prefecture.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5725.html

https://www.okayama-japan.jp/en/spot/801

okayama-kanko.net/sightseeing/…

Shodoshima is not included in the rankings, but it is the famous island.

It has been known olives and as a stage of ”Nijushi no Hitomi”("Twenty-Four Eyes").

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5430.html

Edited: 14 May 2016, 11:23
Mentioned in this post
Ogijima Island
Ogijima Island
99 Reviews
Takamatsu, Japan
Kagawa Prefecture
Kagawa Prefecture
Shikoku, Japan
Takamatsu
Takamatsu
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan
Inujima
Inujima
33 Reviews
Okayama, Japan
Okayama
Okayama
Okayama Prefecture, Japan
Shodoshima-cho
Shodoshima-cho
Shodo-shima, Japan
Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Setouchi Festival advice

Also access method is here Please refer to.

setouchi-artfest.jp/en/access/city.html

sydney
Level Contributor
153 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Setouchi Festival advice

Thank you Haro for all that wonderful information.. I want to enjoy the food as much as the art! I love mochi. We will definitely visit Ogijima..

Takamatsu, Japan
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Setouchi Festival advice

"Is a pass required or worthwhile for 3 days?"

Nothing is required, but it'll be cheaper with an Art Passport, unless you only visit a handful of sites.

Art Passports for the summer are around 3,000 yens I believe, that's the price for 10 artworks, you'll most likely see about 10 a day if you don't rush.

"What islands or events are not to be missed?"

No island is to be missed. ;-)

Well, if you've been to Naoshima before, you can skip it, unless you like crowds in the summer heat.

You should focus on Ogijima and Teshima, the two best islands of the area (I even like them better than Naoshima). The art on Megijima is pretty good too.

Shodoshima has a lot of great art too, but because of its size it can be hard to navigate.

My advice would be something along the lines of one day on Teshima, one day on Megi and Ogi (just spend a couple of hours on Megijima - skip the cave - and the rest of the day on Ogijima), and one day on Shodoshima (let's say Tonosho and Mito Peninsula).

An event to not miss this Summer is the Asian Art Village in Takamatsu. If it's half as good as Bengal Island from three years ago, it could be the high point of the summer.

"Where would one go to enjoy the island food?"

On an island. ;-)

On Teshima, go eat at Shima Kitchen (arrive very early, actually pretty much go there first when you arrive on the island)

On Ogijima, Madoka has delicious local food. Café Tachi has normal food, but the best atmosphere with both locals and visitors as customers. Also, sometimes local food in served on the port.

If you want more advice, may I suggest you take a look at this:

setouchiexplorer.com/setouchi-triennale-advi…

Oh and by the way, it's Takamatsu, not Takematsu.

Mentioned in this post
Naoshima
Naoshima
487 Reviews
Naoshima-cho, Japan
Shodoshima-cho
Shodoshima-cho
Shodo-shima, Japan
Mito
Mito
Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan
Takamatsu
Takamatsu
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan
Shima
Shima
Mie Prefecture, Japan
sydney
Level Contributor
153 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Setouchi Festival advice

This is wonderful advice David. Thank you for posting it. By the way it is yen not yens. So easy to make typing/spelling mistakes.

Reply to: Setouchi Festival advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Takamatsu