We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poisonous critters

Calgary AB
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Poisonous critters

Any issues with poisonous spiders or snakes?

20 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
531 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poisonous critters

Hi Steve 141,

Have been coming to Langkawi for years, and have never seen a "poisonous critters".

I am sure like in Canada they are around, but unless you are particularly interested in seeing some, I would stay away from areas like jungle or "off the beaten track" areas.

The only thing to watch out for would be mosquitoes at dawn and dusk....and the occasional tourist who has had a Tiger or two too many....that's beer incase you did not know, and certainly not poisonous.

cheers...here's to the Tigers

Janet

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poisonous critters

Thanks Janet! A Tiger, or a Fosters sounds great to me.

Cheers,

Steve

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
531 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poisonous critters

Given the choice Tiger wins hands down... But there is a "boutique beer" in Perth Western Australia called "little creatures" which is pretty special.

Level Contributor
5,809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poisonous critters

"little creatures"

One of the best Pale Ales on earth in my opinion, and drinking it straight at the brewery at Freo is pretty damn special as well (except for the prices.. OUCH)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poisonous critters

The craft beer revolution is huge in Australia. It would make a great topic , what is the craziest beer name that you have seen. Very cold for a beer in my front yard in Melbourne today Psyvolt.

Cheers

Sean

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
531 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poisonous critters

Hi Sean, yes good idea....lets know when you get stared.

Weather in Langkawi at the moment is hot hot hot and a lot of humidity thrown in for good measure.

No rain for Chenang, but maybe some on other parts of the island.

Mornings up till around 12noon lots of sun and blue sky, but after that the clouds roll in along with the humidity!!!

I am sort of looking forward to getting some cooler weather now, which is guaranteed when we get back to Perth....but soon after that will be hanging out for Langkawi weather again!! Just cant win.!!

Still very quiet in Chenang, but that's to be expected...looking forward to some big rain which should be just around the corner.

cheers

Janet

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Chenang Inn
Chenang Inn
128 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,716 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poisonous critters

Hi Steve

To get back to the original topic from the much nicer topic of craft beers, I suggest you google snakes of Malaysia just to see the amount of poisonous snakes there are in the country and the majority of these are found on Langkawi such as the Black Banded Krait, Pit Vipers, Pythons and of course the dreaded King Cobra.

Friends of mine had a King Cobra living under their house and had to have the fire brigade, who deal with this sort of thing, come to remove it as they are highly dangerous snakes.

There are also a few poisonous spiders such as a type of Huntsman and a type of Black Widow and of course many scorpions can also be found. I literally cringe sometime when I see tourists wandering off into the undergrowth, scantily clad and wearing flip flops (thongs).....!!

Anyway, depending on where you are staying you are unlikely to see any of these creatures. However, if you are staying in a hotel in the rainforest you may be lucky (or unlucky, depending on if you have phobias), to spot some interesting wildlife.

Lesley

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poisonous critters

Have a great rest of your stay in Langkawi, Janet. Where I live, today we had a minimum of 13 and a maximum of 13 , at least it was stable.

Lesley , your story about King Cobra’s ( I am not a fan of them ) , reminded me of what I read recently in a Malaysian Newspaper, a story of a famous Cobra catcher who worked for the fire brigade and caught plenty of the nasty critters, eventually meet his match and died. Very sad. I guess the advice is stay on clear paths and if you see one , get those feet moving in the reverse direction.

Cheers

Sean

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,716 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poisonous critters

.....and don't wander around in your "budgie smugglers" as that definitely terrifies not only the wildlife but the humans as well...... ;o)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poisonous critters

Lesley I'm an aussie and have grown up with budgie smugglers and they still terrify me

Reply to: Poisonous critters
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted