We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much safe the place is?

3 posts
Save Topic
How much safe the place is?

Hello,

I am a student from UK and going to Kualalampur for a conference. I wanted to visit any of the islands in MY and Langkawi just blew my mind. So I booked tickets there. However, during filling in the form of insurance coverage from university, I came to know that UK government does not approve this place to be a very safe place to go. So if I want to visit, I shall get my coverage for Kuala lampur and not for Langkawi. Well since I already booked my tickets, I am surely going! I just wanted to know how this places for a traveller from foreign? Kindly let me know if any proper medicine/ vaccination can be considered? Is this a place where normally many tourists go, or it is just for locals? Thanks a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
8 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,789 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much safe the place is?

Hi

I spend quite a lot of time on Langkawi and it is very safe indeed. There are numerous tourists visiting from many different countries without a problem and you will have no problems either.

As for what injections you may need, then you should seek the advice of your GP as we do not know your medical history or what injections you have had previously.

Oh and BTW it is Kuala Lumpur or KL for short, not Kualalampur.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much safe the place is?

Thank you :) only UK FCO not covering the insurance for this place wondered me a bit, but now I feel there is no issues. I am very excited for my trip to Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi. :)

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much safe the place is?

There is no FCO travel advisory for Langkawi. Don't know where you got that from.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
479 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much safe the place is?

Hi. I believe you might mistaken Langkawi with Lankayan. There is a mention of Langkayan Island which is part of islands on the east coast of Sabah.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,252 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much safe the place is?

Lol - I think you have misread the FCO site and are confusing Lankayan with Langkawi!

See https:/…malaysia

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much safe the place is?

Ok...I also believe you have got your Islands mixed up. Langkawi has got to be one of the safest most laid back places in the world.

Travel insurance is not usually city specific. You maybe should broaden your search for a suitable policy.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How much safe the place is?

Hello,

Thank you all. And yes you are right I have confused with the two names. So lame of me! And now I am absolutely sure that I can be safe and amazed by this place. I would upload my review after coming back :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
26,104 posts
2,207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much safe the place is?

A you live in the U.K where there are more safety concerns in relation to terrorism you will find the island of Langkawi peaceful and safe.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Reply to: How much safe the place is?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted