We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchange rate

Peterborough
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
exchange rate

Any one tell me the current exchange rate in Langkawi, in the uk i can get 5.016 from the post office with no commission. Should i save my £'s until i get there.

Thanks

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,825 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchange rate

HI

you will always get a better deal in Malaysia.

Why not take your ATM and use that to withdraw money as needed (do tell your bank and take a phone number). Travellers cheques also works well.

Generally if the UK is offering 5myr to the pound you will get 5.1-5.3 to the pound in Malaysia.

We usually take a few ringitts to pay taxis, incidental, snacks (especially if in transit in KLIA)etc enroute.

have fun.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,825 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchange rate

PS forgot to say, if you have a NATIONWIDE ATM card they do not charge any commission for using overseas. M&S also do not charge for overseas purchases on their credit card.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exchange rate

hi! nationwide have started charging from this month. sadly, no commission deals in the uk generally have poorer exchange rates to compensate. if taking cash be sure for how much you insurers cover you. we find the best rate for cash is from the banks in malaysia. they will only change unmarked notes.

pam

4. Re: exchange rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 02:22