We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reasonably priced hotel in quiet area for couple

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
reasonably priced hotel in quiet area for couple

Hi there, the search function on the forum isn't working for me this evening so apologies if this question has already been asked.

We are wanting to visit Langkawi (for the first time) in early/mid September this year for what will be a much needed 'get away from it all' break, for about 5 days.

We are definitely not interested in water sports (eg: jet skis etc), but do love a walk/relax on a quiet beach, the occasional swim and a glorious sunset. :)

Ideally we'd like a nice pool at our hotel to sit by and swim in, and we would love for the hotel to be near the beach (but know that this may not fit in our budget).

Since it's a 10 day trip (5 days in KL - a bit of shopping and visiting old friends), we are looking at a price range of $50 - $80 per night.

Walking distance to restaurants would be awesome too. From the posts I've read so far (thankyou to the helpful destination experts on here!) it seems that some beaches are noisier/busier than others.

Soooo... in a nutshell, I guess we are after a cheap hotel (with a pool a plus) near a quiet beach, walking distance to shops/restaurants (we plan to hire a scooter so this point is flexible).

All or any advice would be accepted gratefully! Thanks in advance...

btw..., the other destination we have in mind is Boracay. Anyone in the know willing to compare the two?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,121 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reasonably priced hotel in quiet area for couple

Hi

Look at such places as Frangipani, La Pari Pari, Sunset Beach (no pool) or Federal Villas. All these places are in walking distance to outside shops, bars and restaurants and apart from La Pari Par, which is not beachside, are at the quieter end at Pantai Tengah.

Lesley

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reasonably priced hotel in quiet area for couple

Hi

For something a little different have a look at this

http://www.theoceanresidence.com/

Mick

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
26,770 posts
2,225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reasonably priced hotel in quiet area for couple

I thought it was me as I cant get the search function working either the last few days.

Tommo

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reasonably priced hotel in quiet area for couple

search function is broken

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k72914…

from t.a. support forum

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reasonably priced hotel in quiet area for couple

oh that's good to know it wasn't just me having a 'duh' moment for 2 days! :)

Now re: hotels -Thanks so much to Steady and Manicmick for the suggestions so far. I love some of those mentioned though a couple are out of my league.

Am really annoyed I can't do more searches on the forum itself on accommodation.

Any thoughts on Pondok Keladi guesthouse. It's the sort of place we would usually stay in (we're not a large hotel chain type of traveller) - it's a shame it's not right on the beach. Can you walk to restaurants (it says 15min drive on their website)? If not what sort of transport is available? I guess if we're hiring a scooter the transport side of it is sorted?

Would appreciate some feedback on this place too please.

If there's any other accommodation options please keep them coming!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
26,770 posts
2,225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reasonably priced hotel in quiet area for couple

back up and running again ;-)

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: reasonably priced hotel in quiet area for couple

i don't think pondok keladi is 15 minutes drive from the beach, more like 5. i would say walking it is possible in daylight, but personally, i would not be too sure about the lane from the main road to the property at night. that is just my feeling - but it is very narrow and not lit. i am none to keen on taking to the verges at night, having seen some of the creatures you could be sharing with. if you had scooters, it would be fine.

do note - the beaches concerned are p.tengah and p.cenang. not 'quiet' by any stretch of the imagination! the same is true of all the other options suggested, with the exception of 'the ocean residence'. this place is peaceful, and delightful, with marvelous ocean views, but sadly, no beach.

another possibility is the Geopark Hotel

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g298283-d9440…

which is close enough to walk to p.kok. there are some eating places around during the day, and at night you could go to telaga harbour, a few minutes in a taxi [very cheap ride]. the hotel is very basic though, and used by large parties. contrary to some of the reviews, it has a pool, but this is situated a few metres away in separate, gated premises, and is not immediately obvious.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
588 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: reasonably priced hotel in quiet area for couple

Hi,

Try two options:

1) The hotels with pool on the beach will exceed your budget. But try Holiday Inn. although not highly rated but it has awesome pool and another infinite pool at the beach. the beach area is wide, at length and silent as one side is hill so not much tourists drop in. No noise. The hotel may cost u somewhere $100-120. Please mind that BF is not included. However it has 4 different types of eating joints within.

2) Other option is Favehotel. under $80. It has very nice pool behind hotel overlooking a farm and few hills. The hotel serves decent and tasty breakfast. Is modern and clean. Very nice bathroom. free wi-fi.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: reasonably priced hotel in quiet area for couple

note: the new pool at holiday villas is not free to use. there is a per-day charge, even for guests.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
588 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: reasonably priced hotel in quiet area for couple

The fee is merely 25RM for Infinity pool at Holiday Villa and includes a drink and towels.