We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Penang airport to Bayview Hotel in Georgetown

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bus from Penang airport to Bayview Hotel in Georgetown

I will fly to Penang in a month's time. Would anyone please tell me how can I take a bus from the airport to the Bayview hotel in Georgetown?

And also, is there a free shuttle hop on, hop off bus stop near the hotel? This is the first time I visit Penang and I will stay for 3 nights. Please give me some advice what to see and do.

Thank you!

Pansy883

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Penang airport to Bayview Hotel in Georgetown

Hi Pansy883 -

There is no direct bus to Bayview Hotel but the 401 gets you close enough to Chulia St. An alternative is 102 but that gets you to Komtar - still another 15 mins walk or more with baggage.

Taking a cab only cost RM40 so perhaps that might be the easiest option considering the heat and humidity of having to walk from the closest bus stop to the hotel?

Hope this helps

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Penang airport to Bayview Hotel in Georgetown

Hi again - just noted the second part of your post :)

Within the heritage zone, your best bet is to walk the zone. Its compact and you see more just walking through the numerous tiny alleys and streets. The buses pass by the main roads and for me, the heritage zone is all about walking around to discover the little gems that could be hiding. Just as long as you have a bottle of water at hand as it is hot and humid.

Please have a look at this link:

visitpenang.gov.my/UnescoHeritageBrochure.pdf

There is a wonderful map on Page 2 and I would strongly recommend walking along Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling and check out as many of the sights highlighted there.

In the heritage zone - check out the usuals - Goddess of Mercy temple, Kapitan Keling Mosque, Khoo Kongsi, Little India etc. Taking your time, you could spend close to an entire day or two.

Another must see for me is Kek Lok Si temple but this is not in the heritage zone and you will need about 20-30 min commute to get there (take Rapid bus 201 or 204 to get there). Penang Hill and Kek Lok Si is a half day trip itself and do group them together as they are close to each other in the same part of the island. Try to go Penang Hill early in the morning (esp if you are there on weekends) - the queues for the tix/rain is ridiculous and a waste of time. Reckon by the time you are done (assuming you start early) - it would be lunch time - early afternoon.

Would also highly recommend you add the famous Sleeping Buddha Temple - Wat Chai (mir.com.my/leofoo/…index1.htm) to your list. Also visit the Burmese Temple across the road. They are amazing.

Of course, you should also consider making a trip to Batu Ferringhi one of the evenings....go there early enough prior to sun set to walk around before heading to the night markets and dinner at Long Beach.

Hope this will give you some ideas for your trip.

Happy researching.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 21:58
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Penang airport to Bayview Hotel in Georgetown

Hi! Penangnite,

Thank you very much for your precious advice. I will take a taxi from the airport to avoid all the trouble. i will take your advice when I plan my itinerary.

Thank you and have a good day!

Pansy883

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Penang airport to Bayview Hotel in Georgetown

You're welcome Pansy883.

Please feel free to come back with more questions should you have any. Lots of TAs out there with significant experiences in the forum.

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Penang airport to Bayview Hotel in Georgetown

Hi - does anyone know How to get to the bayview hotel from the bus station - arriving by aeroline.

Thanks

6. Re: Bus from Penang airport to Bayview Hotel in Georgetown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 07:48
Get answers to your questions about Penang