We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exhanging PHP to RM

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Exhanging PHP to RM

Hi all,

I would like to ask if it is possible to exchange PHP to RM in Kota Kinabalu? I believe this is a cheaper option than buying USD (using PHP while in the Philippines) then exchanging the USD to RM once I get to Kota Kinabalu.

Thank you in advance to all those who reply.

5 replies to this topic
uk
Level Contributor
989 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exhanging PHP to RM

You would be best buying small amounts of RM, and then using your ATM Card to draw local currency whilst in Sabah, this would offer the best rates usually.

Money changers in KK will generally accept worldwide currencies for exchange though, being "right next door" to Sabah i cant think of any reason why it would not be widely exchangeable.

Of course its cheaper not to exchange twice, but it doesnt make a lot of difference with small amounts. You wont really need a large amount of cash anyway, mastercard / visa is widely accepted.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,630 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exhanging PHP to RM

In my several visits to Kota Kinabalu I never had any problem exchanging my pesos at the airport and downtown moneychangers.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Exhanging PHP to RM

You don't have to worry , all money changer you can find easily in all shopping mall in kota kinabalu.

Metro Manila...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Exhanging PHP to RM

Hi, would you know if we could exchange PHP to RM in the airport? even after midnight?

I am traveling soon with my family and we arriving past 1:00am. Hoping that the FX counter would be open and will probably just bring PHP with us.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,630 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exhanging PHP to RM

I don't know if they are open by 1am and if you can't find one there are many ATMs at the airport. You don't even need cash if you just use Uber or Grab from KKIA to your hotel.

Reply to: Exhanging PHP to RM
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted