We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Kinabalu - 2 or 3 day hike? (with Walk the Torqs)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mount Kinabalu - 2 or 3 day hike? (with Walk the Torqs)

Hi - I'm looking for some feedback from people who have climbed Mount Kinabalu. Is the 2D1N long enough or should I choose a 3D2N package?

5 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
519 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Kinabalu - 2 or 3 day hike? (with Walk the Torqs)

00James00,

Just in case you have not managed yet, have a good read through the FAQ's and the search bar above to bring back related topics while your waiting for a response.(sometimes Q's are not answered)

Referring to your Q, it is difficult to answer directly, because we do not know your climbing experience/fitness/stamina.

Also there is a additional cost to consider.

If you are fit under 40yrs, you will be guide up and down, so 2D1N should be okay.

The guide is there to make sure your on time and to call the climb off and guide you down if necessary.

Porters are also available if you need them to carry your kit.

It is steep with high steps in places and can be very wet with the run off from the rain.

Have a look on U-tube at the clips there also google maps and view the routes.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Kinabalu - 2 or 3 day hike? (with Walk the Torqs)

Good day,

Walk The Torq only comes with 2D1N Package, 2 Nights Package consists of more itinerary, you can check out mountaintorq.com/via-ferrata/itineraries/.

Contact Mountain Torq directly for more information.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Kinabalu - 2 or 3 day hike? (with Walk the Torqs)

thanks, I researched further and have opted for 2D1N

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Kinabalu - 2 or 3 day hike? (with Walk the Torqs)

Hi

My friend and I want to have a longer 4D/3N hike up Mount Kinabalu with Via Ferrata and found most operators only offer up to 3D/2N. The only one which offers 4D/3N is Mountain Torq but they charge for an arm and a leg. I wonder whether there is any suggestions. We want to take it easy in case we are affected by AS. Thanks for your help in advance.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
519 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Kinabalu - 2 or 3 day hike? (with Walk the Torqs)

ASM L,

I fully understand you caution, if you do become affect by Altitude Sickness the guides will not leave you there to improve, as the only cure is to descend.

"Taking it easy" is a limited option as the guides have to get you to the hut safely before dark. If they feel you are going to slowly they will turn you around and you will have to walk back down.

The problem with altitude climbing is ANYONE can be affect, and some do not feel the affects at all, ascending slower helps your body adjust but, if you are not fit this can be cancelled out and you can still be ill.

Have a look at the U-tube videos of the climb/summit and see if you like it.

All climbers have to have a guide so, if the cost is too much, consider walking the lower trails they are just a interesting.

Reply to: Mount Kinabalu - 2 or 3 day hike? (with Walk the Torqs)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted