We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Kundasang - where is the must visit places?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
87 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Kundasang - where is the must visit places?

I'm driving to Kundasang from the airport and staying in Kinabalu Pine Resort for a night. I wanted to visit war memorial, tea plantations and Kinabalu park.

I'm planning to visit Kinabalu Park the second day. What are your suggestions to fit the other places into the itinerary? And is there any attraction to stop by on the drive to Kinabalu Pine Resort?

I also like to have a tea and snacks viewing the beautiful Mount Kinabalu. Any recommended places/cafe?

26 replies to this topic
Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Kundasang - where is the must visit places?

Hi Gigi,

On the way you can visit places like Mango Garden Restaurant, Rumah Terbalik!

It has a house that is upside down! On top of it this Mango Garden Restaurant serves local sabahan food!

Desa Dairy Cow Farm is a good place to visit. Nice farm and quite near to your resort. It is just 10-15 minutes drive! Make sure you rent a car that can take u up the hills!

Did I mention Kinabalu Pine resort offers the best view? Make sure you do some homework on which chalet has the best Mountain view! You are gonna love the valley view. Wake up earlier and enjoy the beautiful sunrise! But don't expect much in the room!

Just incase get ready some repellent!

As for good cafes? I dont think I manage to find any the last time I went.

There is a small town nearby with KFC and along the way there are many locals selling fruits!

Do try the red banana.. The fragrant of the banana is very strong!

Cheers!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
87 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Kundasang - where is the must visit places?

Thanks Lola! Tea plantations looks like quite a distance from my place (1 hour drive), so I might just give it a miss. Heard good reviews of Desa Dairy Cow Farm, will definitely visit it. Thanks again!

Kota Kinabalu...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Kundasang - where is the must visit places?

For driving to Kundasang, there are many places you can stop by and visits:

1. Rumah Terbalik

2. Nabalu Market (Observation Tower overlooking Mount Kinabalu)

3. If you ever seen "Sinalau Bakas" along the way after Tamparuli Town, you can stop by to check out. The words means "BBQ wild boar meat". Local people loves pork. :p

4. Kinabalu National Park (KNP).

5. Poring Hot Spring & Canopy Walkway + Waterfall + Butterfly Farm (so on), (45-60min drive from KNP)

6. Along the way back from Poring, try to find any wooden signboard made by the villagers stating there is Rafflesia blooming. (You can stop by and ask the villagers how much fee for them to guide you to view the flower, how far to walk. normally 15-30mins walk per way is normal, I might think twice if it is more than 30mins walk per way.)

7. War Memorial Garden

-------------

Day 2

8. Mesilau Nature Park (Check out the nature trails here)

9. Desa Cattle Farm (10am & 3pm milking time), Mesilau Road

10. Crocodile Farm (Jalan Sulaman, near Rasa Ria Resort)

11. Along Jalan Sulaman back to KK city, there is a place with many local stalls selling coconut pudding, coconut drink, BBQ coconut, BBQ lokan and so on, you can stop by and try. Choose the stall you think having better environment in terms of hygiene is a tip.

12. If time permits, take a seafood dinner at Gayang Restaurant.

I think that's quite pack for you to do in two days. You can skip some ;)

Cheers!

Klang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Kundasang - where is the must visit places?

Hi, would like to check if the road conditions to Kundasang, Poring are narrow n winding roads ? R the road conditions old or new ?

Most frens advised not to drive and we are 3 ladies going on 27th Feb but the cost of hiring driver + car is kinda expensive. So we are considering to rent a car n drive straight fr airport to Kundasang. Plus we can have all flexibility in timing to ourselves.

Pls advise. Thanks.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,112 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Kundasang - where is the must visit places?

The road is a good 2 lane sealed road. It is winding in parts but safe if you drive sensibly.

Klang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
52 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Kundasang - where is the must visit places?

bigw, thanks for your prompt reply. I shall source for some car rental then :)

Have a nice day !

Tenom, Malaysia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Kundasang - where is the must visit places?

hope Gigi L share something here after her visits, thanks

Edited: 01 May 2014, 18:39
London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Kundasang - where is the must visit places?

Hi we are 2 people trying to find out if its possible to Drive frrom Sandakan to Kundasang - would you recommend it or not?

Secondly any advice on renting a car out in Sabah? - first time abroad in my life so clueless - any help greatly appreciiated.

Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
180 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Kundasang - where is the must visit places?

Sandakan to Kundasang is drive-able but a long journey. road are all tar-sealed. just watch out for the palm oil tankers.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Kundasang - where is the must visit places?

Hi There,

I am heading to BKI this 23rd April with my family and will be there for about 5 days. A friend suggested me to visit Kundasang. And so i am planning to stay there for 2 nights before returning to the City of KK. Could someone suggest How could i get there from KK Airport and what we could do along the journey as well at the destination?

Any Rental Car contact available please?

Sorry for the trouble, it's my first visit to KK and being nit lost. Appreciate your response.

Thank you.

Regards,

Priscilla Anthony

Reply to: Driving to Kundasang - where is the must visit places?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu