We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bandos - 28th Nov

Manchester
2 posts
Save Topic
bandos - 28th Nov

Hi all.... So excited - arriving on Bandos Island 28th Nov. anyone been in Nov before? is it hit and miss with the weather? We've just booked a standard room? have we made a mistake? are they ok? I understand that most things are charged to the room any idea how much in dollars we should bring for a week for tipping etc? Am I right to be soooo excited.. Its my 30th so hopefully it should be a birthday to remember!!!!

thanks in advance for your help

Viv

Mentioned in this post
Bandos
Bandos
North Male Atoll
England
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: bandos - 28th Nov

We shall be there from the 26th, for 10 days so see you there!

Colchester
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bandos - 28th Nov

Standard rooms are fine, all the better for saving the dosh for the diving. Rooms are very large and clean and have a seperated sitting area. Bathhrooms are large as well. As 10% service charge is added to everything you buy (food, drinks etc) so we do not usually tip waiters but generally leave something for the cleaner who keeps our room spotless and tidy (they even come in twice a day). Yes you are right to be excited, we have been four times now and are planning on returning soon.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bandos - 28th Nov

Hi Titan,

What are the bathrooms like in the standard rooms? I think next time I'll do the same - save the money for diving and book a standard room, unless the travel agent can offer me an incredibly good deal on a JBV (I think they want about £500 extra which I'd much rather spend on diving).

The deluxe rooms were lovely when we had both rooms, but I think they'd be a bit noisy if you had just one of the two, because of the adjoining door.

I loved the bathrooms in them though. But considering I was diving/snorkelling every day it was a bit of an unnecessary trek!

I'm crossing my fingers for a late june last minute deal after graduation. The deals this year were fantastic so I'm hoping the same is on offer when I want to go. When are you next off to bandos? I notice from your pictures that you've been to the hilton in Hurghada - we've been there too, what a coincidence. We loved it too :-D

Sarah

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bandos - 28th Nov

p.s Viv, you will absolutely LOVE bandos.

I'd take about $80 per room per week for your tips. We tipped the room boy, the waiter and the dive boat crew at the end of each week, and others such as the luggage boys and crew on excursions as and when they helped us.

We didn't tip bar staff because of the 10% service charge.

People all tip different amounts so I guess it's down to the individual to judge what they feel is appropriate.

Hope that helps

Sarah

Manchester
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bandos - 28th Nov

thanks everyone... i'm even more excited than when i posted this topic.. I think i'm getting to the annoying stage now!!!!!!!

Thanks again

V

Colchester
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bandos - 28th Nov

Oh yes sorry I forgot we always tip the luggage guys, nice not having to lug your own cases.

Sarahog

The bathrooms in the standard rooms are quite large compared to most hotels (when I finish moving house I'll try to dig out pix and post them - yes I did take a photo of the bathroom). They only have a shower and no bath though - but that is fine out there. It is more like a wetroom with the floor sloping gently away from the bathroom door and the shower itself behind a glass screen, there is also the loo and a sink. The rooms are also staggered so next doors bathroom is not directly adjacent which can be handy.

Woodbridge, Suffolk
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bandos - 28th Nov

Hi everyone.

We're back to Bandos on Sunday, arriving Monday morning for a week this time. Then we're back in May 2008 for two weeks :-)

We're taking our eldest for a birthday treat, 4 year old boy, leaving his younger brother with his grandparents. Although they're both coming next year..

You'll see from my review that I think this island is perfect, especially for families and that's why this is my 4th visit.. All the times we've been there we have not had a single problem.

We always choose a standard room and the buffet for dinner suits our 4 year old. The food is always good and yeah you could pay more for the other restaurants but it suits our needs... Although my son has asked to try lobster this year so we'll be fine dining at least one night!! He also wants me to take him deep sea fishing, could be fun when a fish is landed that's bigger than him.

Anyway, never have a bad word to say against Bandos. Ask questions if you want, I'm happy to answer...

Not sure on weather in November though, always go in May.. Went once in Jan but there was no wind and far too hot!

Cheers....

Mentioned in this post
Bandos
Bandos
North Male Atoll
Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bandos - 28th Nov

we went to Bandos for our 1st visit to the maldives in aug and had the best holiday the kids are begging me to book up again for next year,we too had standard rooms and found they were much better than any other standard room i have stayed in, big,clean and a great location apparently in Adrian Nevilles book Resorts Of Maldives he says they have the best part of the beach,you can always upgrade for a few nights if they have rooms available this seemed to be what a lot of people did ( the jacuzzi villas were very popular)its cheaper to do it there, have a fab time, im jealous!

Mentioned in this post
Bandos
Bandos
North Male Atoll
9. Re: bandos - 28th Nov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 07:17