We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children on Bandos

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Children on Bandos

Hi everyone, We are thinking of heading to Bandos at the end of August/beginning of September next year for my husband's 40th. I was wonderning about the presence/impact of children on this island. We don't want to feel surrounded by loads of kids splashing about in the pool etc and playing up at dinner. Don't get me wrong, we do have 3 kids of our own but they are not coming with us and we want something special for this holiday. We have been to Kuredu before for our honeymoon and loved it but i notice there is a kids club on Bandos which has made me a little wary. Does anyone know if there tends to be a lot of children on Bandos?

Thanks again.

Wrightstuff

Colchester
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Children on Bandos

There can be quite a few kids around but (and I do not have children) they did not bother me too much, there are plenty of spaces to loose yourself on the beach. I must admit though one day I did move away from the pool as there were some rowdy kids, but overall it did not spoil my holiday and I will be going back.

Woodbridge, Suffolk
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Children on Bandos

Afternoon,

We're guilty of taking our kids to Bandos but don't feel any of the kids are badly behaved. To be fair we've never been in the school holidays so it could be different. I suppose if you go in the school holidays you will be the older, more rowdy kids.

We've been in May a few times and it's very relaxed - our boys are well behaved anyway, Aged 4 & 9 months ( I suppose I would say that!!). It would be an idea to get a comment from someone who has experienced July \ August before you book...

The kids club is very discreet, in the middle of the island. I think they prefer to contain the kids in there - they have an outside play area but it's normally too hot so they sit inside and read books \ play with toys etc...

Although this is the favourite family resort in the Maldives please don't foget that it's very nice and extremely good value, compared to some of the others...

Hope this helps?

Steve....

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Children on Bandos

hi we went to Bandos 20th august for 2weeks and there were quite a lot of kids there, actually more teenagers than i expected,most of the children were very well behaved and we never seen any playing up at dinner time a lot of the families tend to eat early anyway, we also found that most of the families spent a lot of the day at the pool and tended to head for the beach in the late afternoon when it wasnt so hot, i must say that if i was going to the Maldives child free i think although Bandos is a fantastic resort there are better that aim for couples rather than families, Bandos has great entertainment and the people are lovely, food fab, but lots of kids at that time of year.

forgot to say we took our 4 kids with us!!!!

UK
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Children on Bandos

I took my children to Bandos last August (11 and 13) and I have to say that some of the children were running round in Sundowners at night. When a large family group were on the same stretch of beach as us, it did become a little noisy. Whilst it didn't bother me at all, I wouldn't choose Bandos for an adult only holiday.

What is it about the island that made you choose it? Maybe someone else on the forum with more knowledge would be able to suggest alternatives if they knew what you were looking for in your holiday.

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Children on Bandos

Hi guys, thanks for your replies, lots of valid points for me the think about there.

In reply to the last post, we are going with another couple (good friends)to celebrate my husband's 40th. Us two are keen divers so an easily accessible house reef and good dive school are a must. However our friends are non-divers so we are looking for a resort with other activities as well such as a gym and spa to keep them occupied. Bandos fits these criteria but has the added facilities also, that means it attracts families. We wouldn't think twice about Bandos if we were taking our kids. If anyone has alternative suggestions based on our wish list I would love to hear them.

Thanks again guys, this forum is a godsend!

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Children on Bandos

If I weren't a diver I might not choose Bandos for an adult only holiday, but we had an adult only holiday there this summer, in school holidays, and it wasn't that bad. Most kids were well behaved. We tended to stay away from the pool as there were quite a few kids there which was a shame, but myself and my mums partner are divers and keen snorkellers so I wasn't that bothered about being in a swimming pool when we had the most beautiful ocean on our doorstep.

For me, the diving and snorkelling at bandos far outweighed the presence of children (and I'm not a very child patient person!).

The house reef really is excellent and so convenient just to go grab your gear and pop off for a dive. The dive centre is excellent. But equally there will plenty to do there for the other couple - the spa is absolutely amazing.

Perhaps I wouldn't choose Bandos for a honeymoon, but for your situation, I think it offers a good balance of price, excellent diving, good choice of food etc. The only thing you would be compromising is the possible presence of children, but I'm not sure of other islands without children that can offer all the rest at that price.

Decisions decisions.....

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Children on Bandos

Thanks for that sarahog. You've made some really good points. If the diving/snorkelling is as good as you say then maybe it is worthwhile "putting up" with a few children. I wouldn't even be considering this island if it were our honeymoon, we went to Kuredu for that and it was amazing. Trouble is i want to leave the memories of our honeymoon there just as that - memories - so we won't be going there again.

Well i'm still undecided but have lots of things to consider thanks to you all.

Cheers everyone.

8. Re: Children on Bandos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 11:20