We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Plane male to Adaaran, Meedhupparu

Farmington, Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Plane male to Adaaran, Meedhupparu

We are going to Adarran prestige water villa at the beginning of October.First time visit and have never flown in a water plane.

Is there a website that gives the description of a typical water plane

seating arrangement, luggage limitations etc. etc, and how rough can it get ?

I know it's only a 40min fight but with a bad take off and landing it can last a life time.

Any info and insight would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Plane male to Adaaran, Meedhupparu

I think it's the MAT who go to Meed, link to their website below:

maldivianairtaxi.com/beta/…

Nearly all the seaplanes (if not all) are twin otter planes.

It is a great experience travelling in one, but they are quite cramped, hot & noisy. The left hand seats are singles, the right hand side double. Luggage is restricted to 20kg plus 5kg hand luggage (but this can depend on the type and size of hand luggage). You can take more but are charged. It's some years since we've used MAT but I believe they now charge $4 per kilo over allowance (used to be $2).

How rough it can get depends on the weather. It can be very rough, or really smooth, with amazing views of the islands/ atolls. Only had one really rough trip (our first!), the rest have been fine.

Ian

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Plane male to Adaaran, Meedhupparu

Hi

The planes are De Havilland Twin Otters with a 1-2 configuration: one row of seats down the left side and two rows down the right. There are either 5 or 6 rows of seats - can't remember which?

The planes are hot and noisy but that is part of the fun of flying in them.

Meedhupparu is served by Maldivian Air Taxis. There is plenty of information on their website about flying with them:

http://www.maldivianairtaxi.com/beta/

Hope this helps

OD

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Plane male to Adaaran, Meedhupparu

Hi

A seaplane transfer is a brilliant way to start your holiday in the Maldives - the views are amazing. There was a post a while back that gave a link to a description of a typical seaplane. If I can find it, I'll post it.

re configuration: they are very small, with a row of single seats on the left (looking towards the cockpit from the rear,) with a row of double seats on the left. About 20ish seats in total I think, although they are rarely full.

Luggage; 20 kg hold luggage and 5kg hand luggage. Excess is charged at about $4 per kg, but it varies depending upon the day the check in guy is having - you may not be charged at all! Your hold luggage will be taken from you as you 'check in' at the counter just outside the arrivals of the main airport. If you have a wheelie for hand luggage, be prepared for this to be taken off you as well, so make sure you've got your camera, and anything else you might want, out of your bag. Your hand luggage will be stored at the back of the plane as you board in any case, so it's a good plan to have your camera with you at all times.

You'll be transported to the seaplane terminal by a small minibus - about a 10 min journey. There you'll check in officially (depending upon whether you're flying MAT or Trans Maldivian) and will then have a very pleasant wait (anything from 10 mins to 2 hours) until your flight is called. Drinks and snacks are available so have some $USD handy. If the weather is good, you can sit outside and watch the comings and goings of the seaplanes.

You'll taxi out into the ocean for takeoff and it's a wonderful feeling when you actually leave the water behind. The journey itself can be quite noisy and you'll be given earplugs before you board. I won't lie - it can be bumpy depending upon the weather, but personally I've never experienced anything untoward. If the weather is really bad, you will be delayed, but this doesn't happen too often. Afraid I can't be any more reassuring than that, especially as you are going in October, but the odds are that everything will be plain sailing (well flying!). Hope you have a wonderful time.

SL

Edit: they type faster than me!!

Edited: 25 August 2012, 03:47
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Plane male to Adaaran, Meedhupparu

SL

We type faster but your posts are longer! :-)

OD

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Plane male to Adaaran, Meedhupparu

Can't believe none of us mentioned the famous barefoot pilots!

:-)

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Plane male to Adaaran, Meedhupparu

i have nothing to add except "seaplanes are awesome! i still enjoy each and every trip in any weather. its a leg of your travel to look forward to "

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Plane male to Adaaran, Meedhupparu

I found a couple of Utube videos that might be helpful.

One is a Maldivian Air Taxi Twin Otter taking off from Summer Island, filmed from land.

www.youtube.com/watch…

The other is a Trans Maldivian Twin Otter taking off from the airport at Male, filmed from inside the plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyEkdhy0RoI

Hope these help.

OD

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,578 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Plane male to Adaaran, Meedhupparu

SL - very accurate and informative for the OP - but they may be confused with all your seats being on the left!! Lol

Would maybe make the plane a bit off-balance?! And hold your tongues guys 'n' gals, no need to bring up the any recent wobbles ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea Plane male to Adaaran, Meedhupparu

Ooopss! Had a really bad day - not myself at all tonight!! Would certainly make for an uncomfortable journey!

SL

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,578 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea Plane male to Adaaran, Meedhupparu

SL - bad week for me too....still removing sharp items from my back if you get my drift....lol

Get answers to your questions about Raa Atoll
Recent Conversations