We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much should I tip?

Oxford, United...
1 post
2 reviews
How much should I tip?

Hello all

I am just coming to the end of a 2 week guided tour of Morocco with my girlfriend. There are just the 2 of us and we have had a guide and driver for the whole 2 weeks.

My question is, how much should I tip them when we part tomorrow? I have read a number of threads with responses to similar questions ranging from nothing to the equivalent of £100 per week for each of them and I’m none the wiser.

I appreciated that they are both being paid, and we have indeed been taken to a few of the ‘museums’ and ‘demonstrations’ of local culture which are a thinly veiled cover for an aggressive sales pitch but they guys have been very pleasant, have made good recommendations for restaurants etc and have stepped in a couple of times when they thought we might be about to over-pay for something and done a bit more haggling on our behalf.

Any suggestions / experiences welcomed.

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: How much should I tip?

The answers you have read answer your question really.

It's being asked 100 times and really many are split between what is or is not acceptable.

You won't get a right answer, just more of people's personal opinions.

If you search TIPPING you will find the same answers that are going to be replied to here by the same people. I think now some people just copy/paste their replies from the previous posts you have read due to how often this question gets asked!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,763 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: How much should I tip?

Yes, I am not about to write the same stuff all over again.

Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: How much should I tip?

If you were happy with their service then 50-60 each per week is good. Of course you can give more if you can afford it or feel generous.

Level Contributor
1,431 posts
4. Re: How much should I tip?

it's your money. do what you want with it. I would not tip, but if you want to, it's your choice

Level Contributor
1,598 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: How much should I tip?

I always think it's good to give - I get a good feeling when I give a pecuniary treat or a compliment to someone. It's nice when people do a good job for you and merit a gainful gesture.

However I understand there is certainly no obligation to tip.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 00:43
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
104 reviews
6. Re: How much should I tip?

I agree with Tim and others, would just suggest to go back to the previous threads that discuss the same subject.

or use keywords to find tipping advice there was ones that has multiple opinions and it's good to see the difference but feel free as nothing is obligatory and always your choice.

Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: How much should I tip?

Mozart yes that is true but really depending on the circumstances to give a treat or tip.

Let's say for just a completly random example, in the case of gentleman visiting for the sole purpose of sex tourism(adult) , yes this would be well received. Gifts, treats, extra tips, drinks etc..

In the case of a guided paid for professional tour the view on giving gifts, treats and tips is different 😂

Edited: 08 June 2018, 02:51
penna
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
40 reviews
8. Re: How much should I tip?

I will add , just as i have said a few times before .

If you bought any items while on your tour , a rug, pottery leather ....

then your guide got up to half that so I would think he already has a nice tip from his cut of your purchases.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,763 posts
68 reviews
9. Re: How much should I tip?

@James R: "in the case of gentleman visiting for the sole purpose of..."

Choked on my cocoa. LOL

Reply to: How much should I tip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Essaouira