We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Random Questions

weyburn, sk
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Random Questions

We are travelling to Panama for the first time and have a few questions. Are there places to rent fins for snorkeling and if so, how much (will need for 10 days)? How reliable is the ATM in the town of Bocas? Can you buy vodka in town and how much? Does anyone know if clamato juice is available to buy in town? Any information on these topics would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Random Questions

Caipirinha is a Brazilian drink made with sugar, crushed limes and lime juice and cachaça, a clear, Brazilian fortified rum. It translates to "little fool." The saying is, "Depois de tres caipirinhas, fica caiporão." After three little foots, you'll be a big fool."

Seco is the really cheap, cheap dregs left over from making rum, Actually, it's similar to cachaça. Seco is to Panama what Ripple is to the U.S. My Panamanian friends warned me (tongue in cheek, but truth in humor) to stay away from it because it will rot your brain. But, some gringo expats seem to like it a lot. You can buy 750 ml packaged with 1/2 liter of orange juice in grocery stores for under $6.

In Panama, good rum is very also inexpensive and easy to buy in any grocery store. You can get a liter of 7 year-old Abuelo Añejo for under $10. You can buy 750 ml 7 year-old Havana Club Reserva for $12 to $14.

Sorry to hear about BWS. You might also check Star Fleet, next door to BWS. Also, since it's very common (and a good idea) to hire a water taxi for the day to go snorkeling, watch the dolphins, have lunch and go to one of the beaches on Bastimentos or Zapatilla, some of the water taxis have fins, snorkels and masks.

Yes, the ATM works most of the time. I've never used it, as there have been reports about identity theft, running out of cash, broken machine, etc. I just bring cash and a Visa card.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Random Questions

Seco is a liquor made in Panama - have you ever had moonshine? I would liken it to that, lol. Cheap, can be used as vodka, or rum, in a punch, etc.. Don't be afraid to try it.

A Caipirinha is traditionally the national drink of Brazil. Made with cachaca which is a type of liquor made in Brazil made with fresh sugarcane juice that's been fermented and distilled. Kinda like Brazilian moonshine, lol.

I didn't realize that cachaca was available in Panama. GB will have to tell us

where (other than Bocas) it is available in Panama.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Random Questions

I've only seen cachaça (AKA "pinga" in Brazil) in two places in Panama: the Hotel Bocas del Toro and a liquor store in San Francisco district in Panama. I don't remember the name of the store -- Tommy's, perhaps? It's also labeled "aguardiente de azucar."

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Hotel Bocas del Toro
Hotel Bocas del Toro
423 Reviews
Isla Colon, Panama
bocas del toro
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Random Questions

Yes on Vodka,everthing from smirnof to grey goose,yes on clamato,buy some fins there cheap.I live in Bocas

Mentioned in this post
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
bocas del toro
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Random Questions

I use ATM almost daily,seldom a problem

16. Re: Random Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2013, 18:22