We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone

Willemstad, Curacao
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cell phone

Will be staying at the Royal Decameron Golf & Beach Resort and was wondering about cell phone use.

Mentioned in this post
Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas
Royal Decameron Golf...
4,639 Reviews
Farallon, Panama
8 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,685 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone

What were you wondering about it?

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone

Bring an unlocked quad-band cellphone that works on any GSM system. Go to Tony's store (They call them Chinois #1,2,&3) just down the road from Lobby 1 and buy a SIM card for $1.00 and $20 worth of credit. We use Mas Movil. Others may work too.

Load your phone up, using some of the credits for internet. $8.00/wk last year. Get a messaging package too if you need it. The SIM menu is in Spanish but anyone at the resort will help you do this setup if you ask politely.

Edited: 02 February 2018, 21:52
Willemstad, Curacao
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone

I was considering purchasing a roaming package through my provider, however, I wasn't sure if they had cell phone coverage in the area oft the Decameron Golf & Beach Resort.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone

I've been told that most people use the WhatsApp app for phone and texting

Willemstad, Curacao
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone

Thank You

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phone

We're trying it both ways this year. My wife has to work, so she's getting the Roam Like Home package. I want to keep in touch with my Panamanian friends when we're here, so I'm sticking with a local SIM card. we'll keep in touch with each other with Whatsapp and Alo, as data and wifi permits. But don't count on DeCameron wifi for bandwith.

There is no trouble with cellphone reception in this area now. We use Mas Movil, but there are other provoders here too.

Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
23 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cell phone

While I was in Panama, in December, I simply used my plan from Canada (my carrier is Vidéortron). That was $10/day. I never had anything faster than 3G in the vicinity of Rio Hato. In Panama City, you may get put onto a 4G network.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Rio Hato
Rio Hato
Cocle Province, Panama
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
Norfolk County...
Level Contributor
45 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cell phone

check your provider... i know Telus offers $10 a day and use your current plan.. claim they have coverage in Panama but I didnt try it.. the free wifi was enough to check in if i needed to

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Reply to: cell phone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Farallon
Recent Conversations