We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jungle Tours with kids

Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Jungle Tours with kids

Hello all,

I'm looking for recommendations on the best jungle tour for a family with kids (ages 9, 7 & 5) departing from Puerto Maldonado.

The kids are excellent travelers (sometimes better than the adults), adventerous and have been overeas before.

My family and I will be traveling to Peru in August 2016 for two weeks (arrive Lima 9th- depart Lima 23rd).

I was looking at the family program at Refugia Amazona. Any experience or other ideas?

Tambopata Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Puerto Maldonado Tours
Boat Hire, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Sandoval Lake
Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,988 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jungle Tours with kids

Refugio Amazonas (perunature.com) is a good option.

You can also check Inkaterra part of all the luxury hotels in Cusco area.

Edited: 26 February 2016, 08:39
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jungle Tours with kids

Thanks Paulo.

It seems difficult to find moderate priced tours that are appropriate for kids. Any suggestions?

We don't need a tremendous amount of luxury a we spend a fair bit of time tent camping here in the states.

However, most of the les expensive options include things like kayaking and long hikes which my kids probably aren't quite old enough to enjoy safely.

Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jungle Tours with kids

Hi! This summer I took a family adventure with my three kids and we used Quechuas Expeditions - I highly recommend them! They are a local company and the owner himself was directly involved in helping us plan our adventure, and they were able to organize a custom adventure for us - I preferred this over the larger companies that offer a set program. Our first half was Machu Picchu, and then they transported us to Puerto Maldonado for a jungle adventure. They have a brand new jungle lodge called Amazon Garden Lodge. They have jungle trails around the lodge for exploring, a nature garden, some group pavillions, and truly wonderful bungalows with their own bathrooms and showers, and lights when the generators were running (and they were very generous with the generators - just tell them when you need electricity). The bungalows have two double beds, and they actually let us use two bungalows next two each other so we could each have our own double bed (my kids are a little older than yours - 15, 17, and 18) We were there for 4D/3N - I wish we had stayed a few days longer because there were so many activities to do! We did nature hikes, canopy adventure, ziplining, kayaking, night boat rides, dawn clay lick, Sandoval Lake, bonfire, etc etc. They have a great chef and were able to work around my son's special dietary needs (diabetes and celiac). The owner Wayra really cares about making sure his guests have an excellent adventure and are comfortable and happy during their stay, and his staff is carefully selected. My kids and I can't wait until we are able to go back. Good luck with your trip and please feel free to ask any questions. (oh, they do provide rubber boots, they buy huge jugs of clean water for drinking. There is no wifi there, but that added to our experience - kept the kids off their phones - connect with nature :) You will not regret taking your kids on a jungle adventure!!!

4. Re: Jungle Tours with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2017, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Maldonado