We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Puerto Madonado to La Paz (Bolivia) - options?

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Puerto Madonado to La Paz (Bolivia) - options?

Hi,

I will be in Puerto Madonado in July and then wanted to finish my trip in Peru here , with my next destination, La Paz , Bolivia. Is there any (logical) way to get from Puerto Madonado to La Paz, or do I need to go back to Lima or Cusco and then travel from there? Any suggestions? Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
La Paz
La Paz
La Paz Department, Bolivia
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
631 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Puerto Madonado to La Paz (Bolivia) - options?

It's kind of tough to get from Puerto Maldonado To La Paz. There might be a very complicated way to do it from Puerto Maldonado, such as via the Heath River Wildlife center which is actually in Bolivia, but I am not sure if there's an official border around there or if you can get to anywhere else in Bolivia from there. I doubt it.

Another option is to take the bus from Puerto Maldonado to Puno. This is not a common route and I don't know much about it, other than it takes about 10 hours. You could then cross the border from Puno via Yunguyo/Copacabana (taking in the Lake on the way) and then continue on to La Paz. However, the little I do know about the Puerto Maldonado - Puno route involves a bus hijacking in September last year. I have no idea how common that is and I really don't want to scare-monger (I think most of the routes have been subject to occassional hijackings), but I can't blindly recommend doing this, as the only 'experience' I have of the route is meeting people who were on that bus.

I think that most people would recommend flying from Puerto Maldonado to Cusco and then on to La Paz by plane or bus (if you want to visit Lake Titicaca on the way).

Is there any particular reason you want Puerto Maldonado to be at the end of your Peru experience? it might make more logsitical sense to switch the itienrary around and go: Lima-Puerto Maldonado-Cusco-Puno-La Paz. Just a thought.

I found a few previous threads on a similar subject:

on this subject:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g488184-i10971-k61…

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTopic-g298…

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294…

Edited: 10 March 2016, 05:06
Mentioned in this post
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Madre de Dios Region, Peru
La Paz
La Paz
Heath River Wildlife Center
Heath River Wildlife...
72 Reviews
Tambopata National Reserve, Peru
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
Copacabana
Copacabana
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Peru
Peru
South America
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
230 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Puerto Madonado to La Paz (Bolivia) - options?

My husband and I are looking at this same option for October. Does anybody have any updates on this route or is still not advised?

Thanks for any comments.

Annie B,

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
724 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Puerto Madonado to La Paz (Bolivia) - options?

Best to go from Cusco wither by air or bus.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
230 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Puerto Madonado to La Paz (Bolivia) - options?

Thanks, Mike, for your suggestion that we simply return to Cusco. Sue looks like we'll be seeing lots of Cusco one way and another!

Annie

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
724 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Puerto Madonado to La Paz (Bolivia) - options?

As mentioned above, it is good to plan your itinerary carefully to save flights - in your case it would work out much better to fly into Puerto Maldonado from Lima at the beginning of your itinerary & after visiting the rainforest fly to Cusco.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Madre de Dios Region, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
6. Re: Travel from Puerto Madonado to La Paz (Bolivia) - options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2018, 15:17