We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in PM... What to do?

Ketchikan, Alaska
Level Contributor
286 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Day in PM... What to do?

So at the end of this month I am doing an amazon excursion- of course. But it ends at 9am and our bus put of town doesn't leave until 9 pm. What is there to do for half a day? I'm sure we won't get back go PM from the lodge til like 11 or so, but that still leaves us a good chunk.any half day tours to do? Or an interesting part of town to see? I'm at a loss..

Israel
Level Contributor
257 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day in PM... What to do?

What lodge are you staying in? Most lodges will bring you into the city much earlier, in time to catch the 10am bus. I assume your'e heading to Cusco?

Edited: 22 August 2016, 00:17
Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Ketchikan, Alaska
Level Contributor
286 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day in PM... What to do?

I'm staying at Monte amazonico. They do come back pretty early, however I've already got bus tickets so I think I'm stuck with the evening bus

Yes, to cusco

Edited: 22 August 2016, 00:41
Mentioned in this post
Monte Amazonico Lodge
Monte Amazonico Lodge
160 Reviews
Puerto Maldonado, Peru
Israel
Level Contributor
257 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day in PM... What to do?

I also stayed at this lodge. They brought me to town quite early. There is absolutely nothing to do in PM.

You have a few options:

1. Change your ticket to the 10am bus- gorgeous scenery really worth it.

2. Ask the lodge to check out in the evening and do activities you have not done yet.

3. Take a day or half day tour from PM. You can contact Carlos the owner of the lodge and ask him. Maybe kayaking in the river?

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day in PM... What to do?

I agree, there is not much to do in PM, we also stayed at the Monte Amazonico and they have 2 boat options for returning to PM, one is early and there is another later boat as well, around 4 or 5 pm I think, so it should not be difficult to add an activity that day and just take the later boat back.

Mentioned in this post
Monte Amazonico Lodge
Monte Amazonico Lodge
160 Reviews
Puerto Maldonado, Peru
Ketchikan, Alaska
Level Contributor
286 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day in PM... What to do?

Perfect! That sounds good. I emailed about it, but half the time I get a responder with little English (and I speak little spa ish, though I try!) so multiple people must take turns answering the emails and this time I got someone who wasn't able to help me much

Ketchikan, Alaska
Level Contributor
286 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day in PM... What to do?

Those who have stayed here, could you recommend a visit to the native village or possibly the clay lick for an extra activity?

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day in PM... What to do?

When we went they were both interesting, we did a 5 day stay, I would say that if you want to sleep in a bit, go with the local village as the you would have an early start for the clay lick. There wasn't much to the village, but they did demonstrate several things, and you get a chance to play a top game and shoot a bow and arrow. I did a blog on our trip and would normally say that I could message you a link if you would like to read it, but it looks like the messaging system is still down. If you are interested in reading it you can do a web search for "A Gringos life in Cusco", then just use the search option to easily find the Puerto Maldonado post.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Madre de Dios Region, Peru
Israel
Level Contributor
257 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day in PM... What to do?

I have another idea, will also be cheaper.

Do the 3D/2N program, but instead of Sandoval lake on day #2, ask them to do zip line + kayaking, which is the activity normally done on day #3 of the 4D/3N program. On the morning of the 3rd day, ask them to drop you in the boat dock of Lake Sandoval instead of continuing to Puerto Maldonado. Book a full day tour of Lake Sandoval from Tambopata hostel which costs 50 USD per person- see link below- and tell them to meet you at the boat dock.

tambopatahostel.com/blog/category/tours/

Edited: 23 August 2016, 22:35
Mentioned in this post
Sandoval Lake Lodge
Sandoval Lake Lodge
264 Reviews
Puerto Maldonado, Peru
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Tambopata National Reserve
Tambopata National...
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day in PM... What to do?

$50 USD seems like more than they would charge for the village visit as it is close, may be about the same as adding the clay lick though.

Israel
Level Contributor
257 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day in PM... What to do?

If you ask them to extend your stay and to return to the citiy in the afternoon they may charge you for an extra full day plus 20 USD for the 4pm boat ride.

For me, Lake Sandoval was the highlight of the whole jungle experience, so a full day on the lake is better than half day (as you'lll have if taking the lodge's tour)