We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amazon jungle tour january

sydney
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Topic
Amazon jungle tour january

I am starting to plan for an 8 week holiday to South America in January /February 2018. My husband & I would like to do a 3 day/2 night jungle tour in either Brazil or Peru . I do realise it is the rainy season so my question is as it is unlikely we will get back to South America, is it worth doing a tour at this time? Will we have trouble joining/leaving the tour if there is substantial rainfall? If despite the rainy season it is worth doing such a tour, would it be better to do so in Peru or Brazil ? Many thanks in advance.

I have posted a similar question on the Brazil forum.

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Peru
Peru
South America
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
706 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amazon jungle tour january

I can only speak from experience in Peru. For 3 days/2 nights you would need to look at the Tambopata rainforest out of Puerto Maldonado. Remember your first & last days are basically getting to & from the lodge so with a 3-day itinerary you only really get one full day in the rainforest. It is the height of rainy season & at that time of year I would really consider a longer stay to maximise your chances of doing the various activities. Be prepared for heavy rain, but forecasting is difficult & you could be lucky that it only occurs at a certain time of day & you can make plan to change activity times. The rivers will be high & with rain possible on the boats always take along a waterproof windbreaker as it can get chilly with the wind-chill from the boat. If it is the only time of year that you can visit then go for it, but be flexible, keep an open mind & be prepared for disappointments due to the weather - the rainforest is a beautiful place & just being there means a lot to many. Choose your tour operator very carefully, there are only one or two that I would recommend that have the capacity ot make backup/emergency plans. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Madre de Dios Region, Peru
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amazon jungle tour january

I stayed a week in the jungle near Iquitos to which you take a one hour flight from Lima. Check out some local jungle tours there and just drop them an email regarding the rain and what they offer.

In any case, don't forget long and light clothes, sunscreen and lots of insect repellent. And Malaria pills.

Mentioned in this post
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amazon jungle tour january

Hi, I have just been to Tambopata Amazon Basin region and loved it. I don't know about January but I wrote a trip report if you want to read it and it also references who I used to help me coordinate.

As a side note you don't need to take anti-malarials to go to this region but do cover up as there are other mosquito born diseases and sandflies

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29431…

Try and allocate more days if you can as to see the true area and maximize your chances to see a diverse range of wildlife

Baltimore
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amazon jungle tour january

So who would you recommend and is it as rainy in late November?

5. Re: Amazon jungle tour january

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2017, 13:16