We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manu, Tambopata,late November

Baltimore
4 posts
Save Topic
Manu, Tambopata,late November

Hi, I am headed to Peru at the end of the month and have 9 full days in country for exploring.

First - is it crazy to be going to Peru in November? How rainy is the rainy season there at that time?

Secondly, Is Tambopata a real disappointment compared with Manu? And I read somewhere you can fly to Puerto Maldonado and take a boat for two hours down river to get to Manu is that untrue?

Responses would be greatly appreciated as I am planning right now.

Thanks!

Mariposario Tambopata
Gardens, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Puente Billinghurst
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
677 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manu, Tambopata,late November

Hi Carita, glad you are coming to Peru, but no so glad that you have left your itinerary planning till the last minute & most importantly that you only have 9 days here. Your main restricting factor for the rainforest will be availability for your dates. November is rainy season so be prepared for possible disruption of your activities due to rain & consider at lesat 4 to 5 days. with only 9 days in the country you are extremely limited with what to see so careful planning is essential - many people spend 7 days in the Cusco area alone & find it very short. Tambopata is not a disappointment at all & many people prefer it to Manu - I would suggest it as your only option for the time you have as for Manu I recommend at least 6 to 8 days with 9 days being ideal. To get to a good lodge in Manu from Puerto Maldonado involves the following: 2.5 hours by road (possible delays due to rain) crossing the Inambari river to Puerto Carlos (about 10 minutes), then by road for 45 minutes approx. to Boca Colorado & then about 4 hours by boat upstream to the lodge. So the short answer is no - it is not 2 hours downriver to Manu. I would suggest, with the limited time you have that you go up the Tambopata River, but due to TA forum rules cannot advertise any specific lodges here.

2. Re: Manu, Tambopata,late November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2017, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Maldonado