We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MassKara festival 2018

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
322 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
MassKara festival 2018

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Philippines with my wife and kids aged 18 and 12 next year.

I am excited at the prospect of experiencing Philipinnes’ diversity and should confess that the Philippines Tourism’s beautiful Commercials have been the major reason to make me excited about the destination. One of the striking features of the Commercials has been portrayal of Philippines’ fiestas.

The tentative dates of my trip shall be October 14-24, 2018 and I have found there is a possibility to travel to Bacolod City to experience Masskara festival.

I seek your valued opinion to the following:

1. Whether it is worth travelling to Bacolod City just to experience MassKara festival? I know this question is subjective, but still I would appreciate your opinions.

2. While some older posts suggest that the final rounds of the street dances shall happen during the weekend closest to 19th October, the Wikipedia post on MassKara Festival says that now onwards the final rounds shall happen on the fourth Sunday of October every year. If the former were true then the final rounds would happen on 21st October 2018 but as per the Wikipedia post this should be on 28th October. Is is possible to know at this stage as to which of these is correct? I might need to make changes to my proposed dates if I try to attend the final rounds, though my original dates would suit me best and I am unsure as to whether a change of dates would be possible.

3. I am most keen to watch Street Dancing with multitude of colourful masks. Assuming that the final rounds shall be on 28th October next year, would it be possible to experience enough of Street Dancing in the weekend prior, i.e. on 20th-21st October?

I wish to avail some very good offers on flights from my credit card issuing bank and may need to book my international flights and internal flights by November this year.

Thank you very much for your kind advice.

Best Regards,

Vik99

Mentioned in this post
Bacolod
Bacolod
Negros Island, Philippines
7 replies to this topic
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,378 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MassKara festival 2018

I had been to masskara a few years back and it was among the best festivals I have seen in the Phils (panagbenga would be a close second)

So YES - it is definitely worth it. Mostly for

1) The street parades (there are two )

2) the other parades - mask parade and light parade (the latter is near the church, the former is more up north where the larger fair is)

3) the possibility to do a day trip to silay - it has beautiful ancestral houses and museums

As for your questions -

1) Yes - very much worth it

2) The street dance parades are only done on two days - on the sat and sun before the grand finale (in our case, we went on Friday, the parades were on sat - younger dancers - and sun - older dancers. Grand finale on Monday evening, but no street parade.

3) Wikipedia is wrong on this. for the latest schedule, see the masskara 2017 facebook site. they don't post much elsewhere, but as soon as you arrive in Bacolod city, you will find the schedule in every hotel.

I had made a full article and a map of the parades on the TA - Bacolod page - based on our experience. have a look at it.

The street parades - start from the south side at around 2 pm and end at the main central square by 6 pm. Then there is a one hour break and then another bout of dances starts in the central square. But the central square barely has much seating space so it gets awfully crowded.

The lights parade was on sat night at 8 pm right next to the church. Very nice but very short.

The giant masks parade was on sunday evening.

There are not many activities on the other weekends. So if you ask me you should be around on the weekend before the grand finale - just check their fb page for the exact dates or ask your hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Bacolod
Bacolod
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,378 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MassKara festival 2018

Found it - here is the article on masskara with street maps - based on our experience.

https:/…Masskara.Festival.html

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
322 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MassKara festival 2018

Thank you New_YLOO for such an exhaustive and helpful post.

My sincere apologies for not replying to your message earlier.

As of now my travel plans to Philipinnes has been deferred for the next year. But I shall save your post for my visit which will be in a subsequent year.

Yours is such a beautiful country with friendly people.

Thanks a lot once again.

Regards,

Vik

Bacolod, Philippines
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: MassKara festival 2018

MassKara Festival highlights is every fourth Sunday of October as per Bacolod City Ordinance. For 2018, th highlight will be on October 28 (4th Sunday). October 19 (Charter Celebration) to October 28 will be the dates with the most activities.

You may also check out this blog experiencenegros.com/bacolod-masskara-festiv…

Mentioned in this post
Bacolod
Bacolod
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: MassKara festival 2018

There is an ordinance that sets the highlights of MassKara festival every fourth sunday of October i.e. October 28, 2018 this year.

New London...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: MassKara festival 2018

I am planning to visit Masskara festival 2018., Can you please inform me all the hotel rates? i have gathered some info and this official website https:/…

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MassKara festival 2018

Try agoda.com or booking.com , there are hotels bookable now in the 700 to 4000 peso range

Reply to: MassKara festival 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted