We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solovetsky in Winter

3 posts
Solovetsky in Winter
Save

Hi, I have a plan to visit Solovetsky islands in November.

I think it must be very hard to visit the islands in the far north.

I have two questions.

1, How often are the flights to Solovetsky delayed or canceled?

2, In November, what is Solovetsky like? Are hotels open? Can I visit Solovetsky Monastery, climb Sekirnaya Mountain, and see prison camp?

Thank you very much.

4 replies to this topic
2 posts
1. Re: Solovetsky in Winter
Save

Hey,

I'm planning on going in January - did you ever get an answer to your questions?

Klofta, Norway
Level Contributor
988 posts
9 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Solovetsky in Winter
Save

> I'm planning on going in January

I have been there years ago. Nordavia did flight from Talagi Arkhangelsk main airport. Weather being unpredictable it's impossible to tell if a flight will have much delay or be canceled, so it's good for travels with flexible time.

Solovki airport is undergoing renovation. A first stage has just been completed but the whole is expected to be operational for the next summer tourist season. This is a federal project done in coordination with UNESCO.

When the runway was out of service, a Mi-8 helicopter was doing the route from the airfield at the south of Arkhangelsk, Vaskovo, tickets bought locally only.

Runway only has just resumed service and small L-410 propellers are supposed to be in service from 02.12 with same frequency than before (3x/week), as per local online gazette:

https://www.pomorie.ru/2019/11/29/5de0f914764de95b5378b1b2.html

Vaskovo airport does list the route now, at 7500rb, but online booking isn't active, so you better contact them to ask:

http://2aoao.ru/

I will be in Russia between the 26.12 and 03.01, have NYE planned in SPb, but wanted to relax in the meantime in the north, and was thinking of Solovki, but 15.000rb (both ways) for just two or three days and with the uncertainty in schedules because possible bad weather, I just forgot about it and will relax instead in northern Vologda province. But then about Solovki, that's the most recent info, yet because I decided not to go anyway, i didn't bother to contact Vaskovo about the new route,

2 posts
3. Re: Solovetsky in Winter
Save

Thank you very much for the information.

I had already reached out to the 2AOAO so I am now just waiting for a response - I guess there is not much else to do!

Wrotham, United...
1 post
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Solovetsky in Winter
Save

Hey. Did you ever get anywhere with this, I want to go in April

Reply to: Solovetsky in Winter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Arkhangelsk
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.