We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Arkhangelsk

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Arkhangelsk

Our train arrives at Isakogorka station in Arkhangelsk at 5.30pm and we'll need to get across town to our hotel, the Pur-Navolok - does anyone know if there usually are taxis at the station to meet the train? Or a marshrutka or bus? Or should we try to arrange a transfer?

I can't find any information about getting into the city centre from this station - please help!

7 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Arkhangelsk

Why do you plan to get off 1 stop before Arkhangelsk if your hotel in the center of the city? The only one reason is having ticket to Severodvinsk not Arkhangelsk. May be it's better(cheaper) to change train?

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Arkhangelsk

Thanks for replying, RussianMatreshka!

I booked tickets to Arkhangelsk using rzd.ru - I entered Moscow to Arkhangelsk and the system showed two trains, the morning train to Arkhangelsk and the evening train to Severodvinsk, with Arkhangelsk as a stop along the route. We had to take the later train, and I assumed that it meant Arkhangelsk city centre, but when the ticket was paid for and confirmed, it showed the station as being Isakogorka instead.

I double checked on the Real Russia train bookings website and it showed the same train when I entered the route Moscow-Arkhangelsk.

Unfortunately we can't change our train, so we'll have to get into the centre from Isakogorka. I know that it is not too far from the Arkhangelsk city centre - so I assume that there is some way of getting into town quickly from there. I'm finding it hard to download bus maps and read the public transport schedule for the city - and I can't speak Russian well enough to pre-order a taxi!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Arkhangelsk

You choose the most expensive train that's why you'd better to change ticket.

In that case you pay only 100 rubles extra instead 500 rubles on taxi.

You need to buy new ticket on Arkhangelsk train (cheaper!) via rzd.ru, go to Moscow train station till 8 hours before departure of your Severodvinsk train, print your ticket in selfservice terminal, than go to the ticket office and show ticket, your ID and text ХОЧУ СДАТЬ ЭТОТ БИЛЕТ. They will take your paper ticket and give you this http://pastukhov.ru/files/ebilet/vozvrat.jpg

No cash back, you'll get full ticket price on your credit card 20-30 days after (they charge only 100 rubles as commission).

If you want to feel yourself russian citizen :), go on your Severodvinsk train and try to find bus number 33 (route ЖД Вокзал – Нижний городок п. Лесная речка) It goes every 15 minutes and if you were lucky you'll be in the city center while train will stop in Isakogorka.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Arkhangelsk

Thanks very much again, RussianMatreshka. It is the more expensive train, but unfortunately it's the only train that we can take. We could have flown to Arkhangelsk, but where would the fun have been in that?!

:)

Looks like we'll be catching the 33 bus from Isakogorka and getting a full Russian experience. My Russian language skills should have improved a little in the two weeks that we have in St Petersburg and Moscow beforehand - so hopefully that will help!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Arkhangelsk

If I were in your shoes, I'd get taxi. Note, that bus#33 goes to train station, you have to change bus or walk 3km to your hotel by Voskresenskaya str. back to the river.

May be it's better to get bus#3 or 3k (МР Вокзал – Нижний городок п. Лесная речка), that goes to river station and walk 15 minutes to hotel.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Arkhangelsk

Hmmm, I normally don't mind a 3km walk - but not with 20kg of luggage...

:)

So, it's either a 3 or 3K bus or - if I feel brave - I can try to call a taxi. One way or another, we'll get there!

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Irving, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Arkhangelsk

My wife and I will be in Arkhangelsk July 5, 2016 with Oceania Cruises. We would like to do an indepedent one day tour of the city and area. Does anyone have any recommendations? We will NOT have Russian Visas but have been told if we do approved tours we will not need a visa. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Reply to: Getting around Arkhangelsk
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Arkhangelsk