We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet / email access?

Nottingham, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Internet / email access?

Hi All

Hoping for a little feedback about what I can expect for internet access / texting from my iPhone (Verizon) while I’m traveling in China? Both via WiFi and regular cell service.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Mentioned in this post
7 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
531 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet / email access?

when i was traveling used an unlocked iphone with a china unicom card worked really well when google maps was allowed so i could take buses everywhere but i hear google maps is banned without a vpn.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet / email access?

Need a VPN to use googlemaps, unless you download them in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,121 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet / email access?

Xi'an (you posted in the Xi'an forum) is a huge city and China has great cell service so you should have access everywhere. And it won't be hard to find places with wifi.

The biggest limitation is if you are on wifi then nothing google works so you need alternates like use apple maps instead of google maps. Use yahoo mail instead of gmail. Also facebook doesn't work. If you use roaming data, since you are on an international carrier, then I believe those won't be blocked. But then you have to pay for a data plan. Or you can do like the above post said and get a VPN.

Mentioned in this post
Xi'an
Xi'an
Shaanxi, China
Nottingham, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet / email access?

Thanks for all the feedback. Any recommendations for a VPN for an iPhone? Thanks!

Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet / email access?

i use Express VPN

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
541 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet / email access?

ExpressVPN seems what most people use and are happy with.

If you are a technical person you can setup Outline, they now have iOS client, that works really well : https://getoutline.org

If you don't bother about anything but want to use the internet then get data roaming from your country. Take care of the cost. But that is unblocked.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
899 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet / email access?

Maps.me operates on satellite, no internet required. We found it great. Download maps before you go.

Reply to: Internet / email access?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted