We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ICOCA and passes for Kyoto

Anywhere
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ICOCA and passes for Kyoto

Can I top up ICOCA at Gion Shijo station (Keihan)? If not, where else, other than JR stations, can I top it up?

When I buy one day pass, do I have to use it on the same day? If not, do I need to know the exact date I want to use it?

What should I do when I lose a JR pass before it expires? Can it be reissued?

Mentioned in this post
Gion
Gion
6,547 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
7,883 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ICOCA and passes for Kyoto

All precaid IC cards, including ICOCA, are rechargeable at any stations of JR, non-JR railways, or subway stations. One day pass is valid on just the day you used. You should not lose your JR Pass, because they don't reissue it.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,792 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ICOCA and passes for Kyoto

Other than train/subway stations, you can recharge ICOCA at most convenience stores.

You can buy the one day pass and use it on another day. You don't need to specify the date.

JR Pass will not be reissued.

Anywhere
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ICOCA and passes for Kyoto

Thank you, @mabei0123. Yesterday I went to a non JR subway station, but the machine only has Pitapa logo and no english menu. Do you think I can still recharge my ICOCA there?

Anywhere
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ICOCA and passes for Kyoto

Thank you, @shibuyakko. May i ask which convenience stores? Lawson, Seven eleven or family mart?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,792 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ICOCA and passes for Kyoto

You can recharge ICOCA at a Pitapa logo machine.

>>>Lawson, Seven eleven or family mart?<<

All of the above. Go to a casher, tell him that you want to recharge ICOCA, give him cash and touch the ICOCA reading machine with your card.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,864 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ICOCA and passes for Kyoto

Just say "ICOCA charge" with additional emphasis on the "gee" part at the convenient store.

7. Re: ICOCA and passes for Kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2017, 13:16