We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Kyoto to Narita Airport

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
From Kyoto to Narita Airport

What is the fastest way to catch my flight at Narita airport if I am coming from Kyoto?

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,369 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Kyoto to Narita Airport

Depends on the flight schedule, but I guess taking a limo bus to Osaka Itami Airport so you can fly away is faster than a bullet train and a narita express combined.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Kyoto to Narita Airport

My flight leaves from Narita (not Osaka though)...so is is the bullet train and narita express the fastest way?

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Kyoto to Narita Airport

Yes, if you take the train, it's fastest to take the Shinkansen and then Narita express. It's possible to Fly from item to Narita, and if you get a discount fare, use one of the air passes for tourists, or include it in you international ticket, it's inexpensive - same as the train. If the schedule is suitable, it saves time.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Kyoto to Narita Airport

Should say Itami to Narita...damn autocorrect.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,658 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Kyoto to Narita Airport

Flight is the quickest.

If you take Shinkansen, go from Kyoto to Shinagawa (preferred due to the easier transfer) or Tokyo and transfer to Narita Express.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Kyoto to Narita Airport

I've done the shinkansen Kyoto to Narita several times, and with an afternoon flight, the schedule works quite well. As mentioned previously, I usually change trains at Shinagawa instead of Tokyo station. It's just easier.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
159 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Kyoto to Narita Airport

Itinerary questions. mom , dad , and 16 year old daughter

Arrive Narita (Tokyo) March 18, at what would be 3:00 am our time and plan to stay at a hotel at the airport

March 19 take train to Kyoto , we have an apartment for 6 nights to use as our base( just finished 6 rounds of chemo, so need to take breaks)Plan on day trip to Nara and not sure where else.

March 25 depart kyoto for not sure where , Nagoya, Koyasan, open to suggestions. Could go to Osaka and stay 2 nights. Do not want to go to Hiroshima , I know it is profound, but cannot do it.

Leave from narita on the 28th of March . The fares were better, but need help

with whether we should spend 1 night in Tokyo or get up early and get a train from Osaka to Narita.

I will appreciate all and any suggestions.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,361 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Kyoto to Narita Airport

With your itinerary it'll be much easier and more efficient time-wise to fly into/out of KIX than NRT. I understand that fares to NRT are better but you have to keep in mind that NRT<-->Kyoto round trip will cost you 350 USD/pp.

Whether you should spend the last night in Tokyo or not depends on the time of departure flight.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,349 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Kyoto to Narita Airport

What time is your departure out of Narita? Assuming it's late enough in the day, you might want to consider sending most of your luggage ahead to Narita using Takkyubin the day before from wherever you decide to stay.

Have you been to Takayama? http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5900.html

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
159 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Kyoto to Narita Airport

I was thinking about Takayama , of course we will miss the festival , which is ok

Our flight is at noon on the 28th so I guess this means we will have to be on Tokyo on the 27th . Well, it is what it is. We are so lucky to go to japan. Any more suggestions ? We all use a carry on each and small back packs . Do you think they will be too balky on the Shinkansen ?

Thank you both for your help