We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around in Kyoto in kimono

Anywhere
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Walking around in Kyoto in kimono

My husband and I are visiting beautiful Kyoto this November. We're thinking about trying kimonos and would love to gather some information beforehand:

Will it be difficult to walk around in kimono and Japanese sandals in November?

What do locals think of male tourists walking around in kimono? (My husband insists on asking this.) :)

As there are no festivals in November, what are the best places to visit in kimono without attracting too much attention?

What are some tips on wearing kimonos like locals? (which colors and patterns for autumn, obi style etc)

Do shops wash rental kimonos after every use?

And lastly, any recommendation on reputable kimono rental shop?

Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Walking around in Kyoto in kimono

From what I saw in Kyoto a few months ago, kimono rentals are pretty plentiful in Gion and Arashiyama, and we saw a fair number of people doing it, so I think it's not unusual in those neighborhoods! But those districts are pretty popular with tourists. Hopefully someone else can answer your other questions.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,691 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Walking around in Kyoto in kimono

>>>Will it be difficult to walk around in kimono and Japanese sandals in November?<<

Yes, it is quite difficult to walk in Zori/Geta if you're not used to it. I wouldn't plan on a long outing. Maybe a couple hours will be enough to exhaust you.

>>What do locals think of male tourists walking around in kimono? (My husband insists on asking this.) :)<<

>>>As there are no festivals in November, what are the best places to visit in kimono without attracting too much attention?<<

It'll be coo to see a male tourist in kimono :-) These days, you'll see many tourists walking around in kimono in popular areas, so you won't stand out too much.

>>>What are some tips on wearing kimonos like locals? (which colors and patterns for autumn, obi style etc)<<

Don't worry about it. Choose a kimono you like. You'll look like a tourist no matter what.

>>Do shops wash rental kimonos after every use?<<

No. A real silk kimono will be ruined if it is washed in water/detergent and it is extremely expensive to dry clean. They will spot clean if there is a spot or something, though. At a rental place, you'll wear a cotton juban (underwear) and that is washed after each rental.

>>And lastly, any recommendation on reputable kimono rental shop?<<

Google kimono rental Kyoto and you'll get a lot of shops.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,813 posts
171 reviews
3. Re: Walking around in Kyoto in kimono

I often see a lot of people walking around Higashiyama are with kimonos. That might indeed be one of the best areas for this experience. The streets are pedestrian only with nice, scenic backdrops and old store fronts, perfect for pictures.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Walking around in Kyoto in kimono

I think it's a fine idea practiced by hundreds of tourists from within Japan and from overseas. There are different types of clothes (kimono) - yukatas might be a bit too cold in November without another traditional gear over it. Don't worry if it's just for a few hours around Higashiyama area.

5. Re: Walking around in Kyoto in kimono

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2018, 16:59
6. Re: Walking around in Kyoto in kimono

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2017, 07:25
Anywhere
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Walking around in Kyoto in kimono

Thank for sharing, Mf0428. Do you know whether they wash their kimonos after every renter?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Walking around in Kyoto in kimono

That question was already answered above. If they did wash it frequently, it would be some kind of synthentic fabric, not the real thing.

9. Re: Walking around in Kyoto in kimono

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 24 September 2017, 12:15