We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kansai WIDE Area Pass Or Kansai-Hiroshima area pass

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kansai WIDE Area Pass Or Kansai-Hiroshima area pass

Can someone please dummy it down between the 2....and pros and cons of each.

Our only priority is Hiroshima and Miyajima.

Is the Kansai-Hiroshima not available for Osaka?

I keep reading that Shin-Osaka is not available for the Kansai-Hiroshima. Is that all of Osaka??

Sorry for the questions.

Thank you in advance

Mentioned in this post
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,095 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Hotel Kansai
Hotel Kansai
359 Reviews
Osaka, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
73 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kansai WIDE Area Pass Or Kansai-Hiroshima area pass

Hi,

Shin Osaka not being available on this Kansai Hiroshima pass does not make sense to me as the bullet train for Hiroshima departs from that station. To my knowledge Shin- Osaka is where the national trains go from and Osaka is where the local trains go from.

I have found this website to always be super helpful and a reliable source of information.

The Kansai wide pass: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_08.html

The Ksansai Hiroshima pass https:/…e2361_kansai_hiroshima.html .

- It states in the points below that you get unlimited use between Shin - Osaka and Hiroshima as the trains for Hiroshima depart from that station.

- Osaka station is also shown on the map you would have use of that station.

From what you have said if your priority is Hiroshim and Miyajima then I would get the Kansai Hiroshima pass as that covers all the areas you would like to visit where as I get the impression that the Kansai Wide area pass is for those who do not want to travel as far as Hiroshima.

I literally think the deciding factor between the two pass is if you are going to Hiroshima or not.

You can also use this website to plan your travel itineary - https://www.jrpass.com/farecalculator you can put in all the rail trips you would like to take and it will give you a price if you brought the tickets separetly and it will then also recommend a pass as well.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 08 January 2018, 19:32
Mentioned in this post
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Hotel Kansai
Hotel Kansai
359 Reviews
Osaka, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,095 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,367 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kansai WIDE Area Pass Or Kansai-Hiroshima area pass

The important factor is differing coverage between the two passes. If you want to visit Hiroshima and Miyajima, you need to buy the Kansai Hiroshima Pass. That's the short answer.

The slightly more complicated answer is that neither of these two passes cover Shinkansen trains between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka. For that sector, you need to use limited express or local commuter trains. Therefore, if you go from Kyoto to Hiroshima, you will always need to transfer at Shin-Osaka regardless.

In terms of local coverage with cities like Osaka and Kyoto, you can indeed ride the local lines.

Mentioned in this post
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,095 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Hotel Kansai
Hotel Kansai
359 Reviews
Osaka, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kansai WIDE Area Pass Or Kansai-Hiroshima area pass

Thank you so much!

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kansai WIDE Area Pass Or Kansai-Hiroshima area pass

The Shinkansen EAST of Osaka is run by a separate company, JR Central. West of Osaka is run by JR West.

Kyoto is part of Kansai (and West Japan), but the bullet train in Kansai is operated by JR Central... that's why it's confusing. That's also what people are talking about when they say you can't use it from Osaka... it's from Osaka to Kyoto that you can't use it.

The map on this page should clear up everything: westjr.co.jp/global/…

The dashed line is the bullet train and it ONLY goes to Shin-Osaka.

Note that ALL the regional passes issued by JR West do NOT include the Osaka-Kyoto segment. That Hiroshima pass is a great deal as you are also allowed to use ANY trains, including the Mizuho and Nozomi services.

Mentioned in this post
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Hotel Kansai
Hotel Kansai
359 Reviews
Osaka, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Cebu Island...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kansai WIDE Area Pass Or Kansai-Hiroshima area pass

Regarding the travel from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka, I understand that we can use the Limited Express or Rapid Service. This is covered by the Kansai-Hiroshima Pass, right? That means no need to fork out addiltional money for the Kyoto-Shin Osaka trip before taking the Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Hotel Kansai
Hotel Kansai
359 Reviews
Osaka, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,544 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kansai WIDE Area Pass Or Kansai-Hiroshima area pass

>>Regarding the travel from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka, I understand that we can use the Limited Express or Rapid Service. This is covered by the Kansai-Hiroshima Pass, right?<<

Correct. You can take the Special Rapid, the commuter train and Ltd. Express Thunderbird, Haruka, Hakuto Kuroshio and Hida.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Hotel Kansai
Hotel Kansai
359 Reviews
Osaka, Japan
Hiroshima