We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Malaysia

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
156 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Malaysia

I'm hoping to spend around two weeks in Malaysia (Feb 2017) before heading to Singapore.

I'm planning to spend a little less than a week in KL and then hopefully explore outside of the city.

I would like to climb Mt Kinabalu and visit Melaka but not too sure where else yet. Maybe Penang or a national park?

I'm a 21 year old male who enjoys good food, culture and the outdoors. My travelling style is waking up early, fitting plenty into one day and getting a good nights sleep ready for the next day.

I'm on a budget so won't be staying at any flash island resorts. Would prefer rainforests and the jungle experience as opposed to beach resorts as I can't see myself relaxing and I unfortunately haven't learnt to dive yet.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Melaka
Melaka
Central Melaka District, Malaysia
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,419 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Malaysia

You posted the same question yesterday without getting any replies. It could be because your question is a bit vague and because you haven't done a lot of research. If you want to climb Mt Kinabalu I'd suggest you start by going to the Sabah forums for advice on whether the climb will be possible. My understanding is that it takes two days and there a limited number of permits available. Once you get the answer, then you can flesh out the rest of your stay.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
156 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Malaysia

Understandable. Thank you.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Malaysia

Hope the following helps:

Good food - if you are referring to Asian / Malaysian food, it can be found in abundance. For International Cuisine, the bigger cities (KL or Penang) have more options. http://www.hungrygowhere.my is a good website for reference.

Culture - Melaka is a good choice. If you are particularly interested in Malay culture, head out to the east coast part of Malaysia (Terengganu or Kelantan)

Outdoors - Apart from the National Park (Taman Negara). I would suggest Cameron Highlands where you can do jungle trekking.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Melaka
Melaka
Central Melaka District, Malaysia
Taman Negara Day Tour
Taman Negara Day Tour
94 Reviews
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Cameron Highlands
Cameron Highlands
Pahang, Malaysia
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
156 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Malaysia

Thank you. I'm going to try and arrange my itinerary so I can fit those in :)

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
504 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Malaysia

Hi,

Tioman island is a fantastic place and is close to Singpore as well. There are many small budget hotels too. However, monsoons will be just getting over in Feb, it may be difficult to plan it in advance. Keep this in your mind, if the weather is OK (and the ferry is available), you can spend a few days there and then continue to Singapore.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
6. Re: 2 weeks in Malaysia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2017, 13:16