We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIP Katsrule

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
RIP Katsrule

Hi all,

While I know this is not the usual way to use TripAdvisor, I hope the moderators will allow this post.

I'm heartbroken to share with you the passing of one of our members, Katsrule.

I and a few others have been lucky enough to get to know her in person, as Tracey... Loving wife, mother to two boys... And avid traveller.

Tracey was diagnosed with Melanoma a while ago. The Clark 4 cancer was removed, however sadly it metastasised to her brain and lungs.

Tracey was very open about her cancer journey, and thanks to her Subbi and I had our skin checked. Subbi was all clear, I was diagnosed with two Basal Cell Carcinomas and an early stage Melanoma. Thankfully mine have been successfully removed, and because it was early the survival rate is 95%. I will be forever thankful to Tracey for sharing her journey, and have done the same with mine.

Tracey was just 50 years old, her boys 19 and 12...

Please, to everyone, wear sunscreen!!! Get your spots checked...

And never stop travelling!!!

RIP dear friend.

Lise & Subbi

6 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,436 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RIP Katsrule

Whilst it is indeed tragic, would you not be better posting this in the Brisbane forum as I believe that is where she was from?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RIP Katsrule

It had been an honour to have meet her and her lovely family....

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RIP Katsrule

@ PSS,

She is from Brisbane (originally from New Zealand) but spent her time travelling in SE Asia, having a stopover in KL on practically every trip.

It is in KL we met, both on the forum and in real life. She has friends in KL and friends who travel to KL, all part of the TripAdvisor community.

I'm not sure she has ever posted on the Brisbane forum, I do believe this is the right place to share this sad news.

L&S

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RIP Katsrule

@ Watermice,

I'm unsure if you and Mrs Watermice know how delighted Tracey was to get to know you both.

Her last trip was when we all got together on Jalan Alor. We'll always treasure that night!

L&S

Mentioned in this post
Jalan Alor
Jalan Alor
6,447 Reviews
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Australia
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RIP Katsrule

Thankyou for posting here as I wouldn’t of seen it otherwise. How sad as have seen her around in a few of the Asia forumsnot just KL andshe has answered questions for me before.. Poor kids as this disease can be so hard and then losing your mum is awful 😢 it’s funny how you get used to certain names of posters and consider them your travel help buddies - hope you can pass on to her family how well liked she was on TA xx

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RIP Katsrule

Hi Jacks,

I will most certainly make sure her family knows. I asked before posting here about her passing, as I said to Doug, without TripAdvisor so many of us wouldn't have connected.

I know Tracey has posted through many of the SE Asian forums, though I think KL was almost like a second home to her, as it is for Subbi & I.

We first met Tracey & family in 2012 in KL. While we've perhaps spent a total of 36 hours in each other's company, she made such an impact on us as she was a truly lovely person... And was completely obsessed with travel.

I will personally be forever thankful to Tracey for sharing her melanoma story, and helping my discover my own very early.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts xxx

Lise & Subbi

Reply to: RIP Katsrule
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted